They finally caught him. Roysetters

Moonshine Ike

They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by Moonshine Ike » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:38 pm

The online bird hunting legend had to have his day in court. Click on the news tab http://Www.kltz.com Roysetters roy pool got busted with a truckload of birds over the posession limit.

This was first reported on uplandjournal.com. Of course this story was just too much bird hunting related for a site that would rather discuss recipes, your favorite pair of undies and poems, so the moderator had to delete any mention of this poaching news

No hunting for roy next 24 months in 48 states

Big Dave

Re: They finally caught him. Roysetters

Post by Big Dave » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:06 am

I wondered why I had not seen any of his post recently.
Last edited by Big Dave on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:31 am

I've watched his posts and looked at his gorgeous pictures for years. Always wondered what he did with all those birds and envied the life style. Now I find out he's nothing but a "bleep" poacher. Figures they try to protect him on UJ.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:57 am

Pisser
Dude's loved his posts on the UJ, me included
Possession is definitely tricky when on the road like he is, A good reminder it's best to follow the letter of the law
UJ would of understandably killed the thread if peep's was takin pot shots at Roy

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:21 am

Leroy I. Pool (69) of Arizona recently pled guilty in Sheridan County Justice Court to five misdemeanor charges stemming from his over-possession limits of Montana game birds.

Pool was charged with two counts of unlawfully possessing over-limits of both pheasant and sharp-tailed grouse. Additionally, Pool was charged with failing to retain evidence of species and/or sex on his game birds.

This multi-year investigation lead R6 Wardens to serve a search warrant on Pool's motor home at the Bolster Dam campground in Plentywood on Oct. 27. Pool had a total 27 game birds over his possession limit at the time of the search. Pool had been camped in the Plentywood area since before the beginning of the upland game bird season opener.

"It is important for nonresident hunters to be mindful of their total game bird possession limits while camped in Montana for any extended period of time," said R6 Investigator Dirk Paulson.

Pool was charged with $1,750 in fines and restitution. He also lost his privileges to hunt, fish, and trap for 24 months in Montana and all 48 states that are members of the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact. In addition, Pool is required to complete the remedial hunter education program through FWP.

Bird hunters are reminded to look at current regulations for the daily and possession limits for the species they are hunting.

Hunters also must retain identification on game birds that are harvested while being transported, or until they have reached the permanent residence of the processor. For sharp-tailed grouse, sage grouse, mountain grouse, and Hungarian partridge, a wing must remain naturally attached. Pheasants must have one leg naturally attached for proper identification.
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/enf ... _0299.html

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 am

Wow, I had wondered what happened to his escapades. He was so well thought of on that forum. What a shame....on him.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:51 pm

He just posted an essay this morning

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:26 pm

The untold story is that Roy boy basically stole the hunting area a few years back from a generous fellow hunter. Took it over for his own then hotspotted it to all his upland journal buddies who,be preceded to pound it into the ground. Locals were threatening to burn rv,s down. Supposedly the other hotspotters heard of the investigation and left the state before the stuff hit the fan. Upland journal is a hotspotting oasis so no wonder the admin is protecting the poacher

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Where is this essay?
Hot spotting is a worse crime in my opinion.
No doubt Montana has been hammered with out of staters due to forum hot spotting. Some say it doesn't exist, I've seen first hand what hot spotting can do and find myself sympathetic to the locals
UJ is not protecting a violater of the law, it is taking the higher road here and not allowing back stabbing, something we all can appreciate...
Last edited by QuillGordon on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:08 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Where is this essay?..

It looks like it was deleted. It was an essay of a pheasant hunt with Steve and danibeth.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Who deleted
UJ?

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Az Draht wrote:He just posted an essay this morning
Surely that dude didn't post a recent essay? If so, that,d be really messed up. Now is the time to lay low. Not be gloating over your poaching escapades. Roy, you need to use the next 24 months soul searching instead of internet showing off. Oh what the heck, the uj admin loves drama and that dying site needs the hits so post away!

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:48 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Who deleted
UJ?
I don't know who deleted it. I saw it when it was first posted. 40 reviews 3 replies. Nothing negative yet. Maybe one of his defenders from the previous thread tipped him off and he deleted it on his own

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:53 pm

He did post an essay, and it was deleted.

Hotspotting/spot burning doesn't really occur if you play by the you show me a spot and I'll show you a spot philosophy. Only times I ever got burned was when I didn't play by that. Any newbies I take now come to private land spots only, as they can't be trusted with public land spots.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:01 pm

IKE....that's right...aren't you the anti-"thoughts and essays" guy of a while back?

Poaching and ego posts of whatever level are silly decisions, a childish decisions, sometimes illegal decisions....as can be using every opening to stick a knife in a message board short rib...a knife that may have a backstory all it's own. :idea:
UJ is not my cuppa and I left, basically due to the head honcho and the rubber chicken guy of a few years ago but, really, some nice folks post ideas and there appears to be no reason to down the place.
Just don't go there.
Or, I reckon one could find reasons and rationale for that action and comments on every message board....seems tho, a poor precedent to set.

But then..I, don't Know Everything.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:03 pm

I personally feel sorry for his hounds

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:45 pm

Me too. He has those new pups that need birds.

However, it would be pretty difficult to get caught hunting in AZ. Especially if he has a lifetime license

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:23 pm

bonasa wrote:He did post an essay, and it was deleted.
Really? Arrogance as well
I now feel dirty replying to this

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Put a call into a fwp buddy tonight. It was a 2 year operation. They tried to bust him last year but the bandits slipped out of the state. Upland journal and his boisterous essays were being watched. Now that he is busted, the fwp would like to speak to a Florida and Pennsylvania accomplices that had cut n run before the raid

CWT

Post by CWT » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:33 am

Tell an ol' southern guy what hot spotting is. Is it simply someone showed the guy a good spot and that was the only place he hunted? Kind of like showing someone your fishing honeyhole and everytime you go there the guy you showed the spot to is fishing it.

codym

Post by codym » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:19 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Where is this essay?
Hot spotting is a worse crime in my opinion.
No doubt Montana has been hammered with out of staters due to forum hot spotting. Some say it doesn't exist, I've seen first hand what hot spotting can do and find myself sympathetic to the locals
UJ is not protecting a violater of the law, it is taking the higher road here and not allowing back stabbing, something we all can appreciate...
We had one on here a couple months back. A guy told off a well know bird hunting personality for asking for spots so he could publish an article for out of state members of a conservation group that didn't even have a presence in those states and he was basically burned at the stake for it.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:10 pm

CodyM, I see that you post on that "other" site. Apparently a few of the regulars can't figure out what's the big deal in this game hog-gate dilemma. I wonder if these same guys would like to see the Roy 9 dog and RV show pull up and camp for 3 months straight in their bird hunting grounds? That admin has sure done his darndest to protect this convicted game violator. I heard a bunch of folks there have gotten themselves banned over the ordeal.....all for speaking their mind on a 'forum' I'd watch out if I was you CodyM and QuillGordon as I'll bet that the main "eye" over there is watching you over here. That's how a paranoid little admin apparently operates, dont'cha know?!

I see that this Roy is a writer and 'published' on the internet: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/against ... type=eBook

I heard his next book is going to be titled "Above the Law: Wearing out your Welcome in bird hunting country"

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:01 pm

I find it upsetting that Roy would do this. I am not saying that he is innocent or anything like that, I am saying that read a lot of his posts and looked at a lot of his pictures and really enjoyed reading them.
To me the lesson to learn is that when you go out of state you need to be absolutely sure of what the possession limits are not what you assume they are.
Too bad he chose to do this.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:21 pm

I have never understood exactly how possession limits work. Too my knowledge, I have never exceeded any bag limit or possession limit.

Tell me if this is right, because it makes no sense to me. I used to pheasant hunt a lot in Iowa. I believe that the bag limit was 3, and the possession limit was 12. So, If I shot 3 birds every day for a week, but gave them to land owners or ate them that day, I would never have to worry about a possession limit. If, I shot 3 birds every day, and kept them in my freezer, I would be at my possession limit at the end of day 4, and my hunting for that season would be over. Is this correct? This makes no sense to me.

I actually did exceed my bag limit one time. I had two pheasants in the bag, when a pheasant flushed and I shot, the rooster kept on flying and landed in a fence row about 200 yards away. I took a couple more steps and another rooster flushed and I killed it. I told my buddy about the rooster in the fence row, as he had not yet limited out. We walked over there and found that bird dead exactly where I had seen it land. So, I did shoot 4 roosters that day. To my knowledge, that is the only game law that I have ever broken, and hopefully the statute of limitation is up.

codym

Post by codym » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:36 pm

All I know is I'm glad this is happening, people are starting to come to south western states and camp out for weeks at a time taking tons of birds. Possession limits are there to tell you when you have taken enough game and your hunt should be over.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:23 pm

I wonder how much the Internet bravado played into the game hog, hotspotter, upland game violater mentality here?

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:33 pm

Brad runs a tight, well kept ship on UJ. He doesn't favor anyone. I've been a member since around 05 & one thing I've seen to be consistent is he will not tolerate a throat cut environment no matter the crime.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:04 pm

I very much wish that Roysetters would tell his side on here. He may be guilty, but many times there are extenuating circumstances that are both innocent and uncontrollable. I want his side.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 pm

rinker wrote:I have never understood exactly how possession limits work. Too my knowledge, I have never exceeded any bag limit or possession limit.

Tell me if this is right, because it makes no sense to me. I used to pheasant hunt a lot in Iowa. I believe that the bag limit was 3, and the possession limit was 12. So, If I shot 3 birds every day for a week, but gave them to land owners or ate them that day, I would never have to worry about a possession limit. If, I shot 3 birds every day, and kept them in my freezer, I would be at my possession limit at the end of day 4, and my hunting for that season would be over. Is this correct? This makes no sense to me.

I actually did exceed my bag limit one time. I had two pheasants in the bag, when a pheasant flushed and I shot, the rooster kept on flying and landed in a fence row about 200 yards away. I took a couple more steps and another rooster flushed and I killed it. I told my buddy about the rooster in the fence row, as he had not yet limited out. We walked over there and found that bird dead exactly where I had seen it land. So, I did shoot 4 roosters that day. To my knowledge, that is the only game law that I have ever broken, and hopefully the statute of limitation is up.
This would be legal in MN or SD if you are hunting together as a party (non-migratory birds). You are correct in your interpretation of bag limits.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:17 pm

I've hunted with Roy and nothing in this thread said about him is true. What we have here is a jealous local lying thru his teeth about a good man. Roy is the farthest thing from a game hog i ever known he won't shoot even a bird that volunteers up on its own or even one his dogs don't handle properly. I've watched him let them fly without even lifting his gun.

His only motivation for killing a bird is to reward one of his dogs for a job done properly. The claim he's a poacher is ridiculous and anyone that been on UJ knows the OP is lying about Brad and those two so called "accomplices that supposedly fled the raid". Anyone thats a regular on UJ can easily figure out who those "accomplices" are and should know darn well they would never break any game laws and definitely aren't there to shoot limits.

The over possession limit thing has a lot to do with refrigeration and friends he was helping out and that's all i will say about that.

That campground is packed with hunters open week of pheasant season then mostly empty for the rest of the season. I go the middle of the second week and Roys camper and mine were the only two there, we hunted for a week and never saw another group of bird hunters.

The only thing he's really guilty of is not properly storing birds in his refrigerator with wings and feet on them, however he labels both the type of bird and the date in each so he sure isn't trying to hide anything.

Lastly possession limits don't have anything to do with how long you can stay in a state they are simply a number nothing more or less, a non residents license is good for the entire season with the exact same priveledges as the resident license.

Residents don't end their season with one possession limit they eat them and then go back out hunting, non residents have the exact same option if they are retired and have the time.
Last edited by bobman on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:29 pm

Bobman, you're just chiming in to deflect the attention from someone that you think is your buddy. Didn't you read the charges, which were plead guilty to? You're just trying to throw shyt at the wall hoping something sticks and the attention will be taken away from the game violator.

Besides, didn't you come up to Montana ONCE and then got called out on all of the forums after you claimed to be an expert on the Big Sky state?

Your buddy was being investigated for over TWO years. A warrant was served and violations FOUND. Your buddy plead GUILTY. Pull your head out of the internet sand, pal. If this dude wasn't a game hog, why would 27 birds OVER the possession limit be found in his posession? Don't forget the HEN pheasant. I"m up here, you definately aren't, I might have some local insight. The facts are the facts. If not, your buddy should of plead not guilty. Kind of silly that an internet hunter from Georgia supposedly has the SCOOP on this?!?! A couch potato internet hunter, I might add.

Again, you've been to Montana ONCE in your life, Bobman. Should we refer to you as Mr. Montana? The rest of your rant is just about as laughable, too
Last edited by Moonshine Ike on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:32 pm

show one single post on any forum where i've been called out for claiming to be an expert on Montana

just one

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Tell us more Bobman...
It would seem were at a disadvantage here as your obviously in the know
Roy posted his essays continually boasting his hounds, seems he's living the life but one thing stands out for me. How would you like Roysetter camped out near your haunts with his nine setters for months
I know me and the limited amount of fellers I hunt with and all I have to say is if it was here he would of got off easy with a 24 month probation & a pissant fine
Last edited by QuillGordon on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Really ? one guy in Northeastern Montana is going to singlehandley impact the game bird populations. Think about that.

You see his threads of the good days, i've seen him come home with only one bird. Those i got skunked days don't make real good PEs do they?

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Those i got skunked days don't make real good PEs do they?
Depends on the writer

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:08 pm

you have a couple good dogs and are a lot younger than Roy do you limit out every hunt, me either, and just like us Roy doesn't care because that's not what he's about.

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 pm

Bobman if your referring to me I have one good hound and a pup in the making. What I despise most is hotspotting

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

"Big Sky" Bobman, since you have so much insight, why don't you tell how this "Roy" came about "finding" this little bird hunting mecca here in the Big Sky state? Was it all by his lonesome?

Let's see, no hunting in 48 states for 2 years
$1,750 fines plus restitution (wonder how much $$$ that was?)
Bragging on the internet (should be a 6 month suspension)
hotspotting: _____ years

The last two certainly aren't punishable by the law. Looks like the desperado got off lightly BUT, for the next 2 years there will be EYES watchin.....
Bobman, you're out of your league here. Get back to you couch and spread your dog training wisdom throughout the internet. One trip to Montana doesn't make you the Prairie King btw, aren't you one of those white cargo van driving types?

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 pm

QuillGordon wrote:Bobman if your referring to me I have one good hound and a pup in the making. What I despise most is hotspotting
and a nice looking pup I don't like hot spotting either if you were on UJ back in the day i was roundly laughed at for cautioning people about giving out details ....the internet is a double edged sword

however this has nothing to do with the OPs claim Roy is some habitual poacher he definitely is not

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Moonshine Ike wrote:"Big Sky" Bobman, since you have so much insight, why don't you tell how this "Roy" came about "finding" this little bird hunting mecca here in the Big Sky state? Was it all by his lonesome?

Let's see, no hunting in 48 states for 2 years
$1,750 fines plus restitution (wonder how much $$$ that was?)
Bragging on the internet (should be a 6 month suspension)
hotspotting: _____ years

The last two certainly aren't punishable by the law. Looks like the desperado got off lightly BUT, for the next 2 years there will be EYES watchin.....
Bobman, you're out of your league here. Get back to you couch and spread your dog training wisdom throughout the internet. One trip to Montana doesn't make you the Prairie King btw, aren't you one of those white cargo van driving types?
I believe the $1750 included the restitution.

Moonshine Ike

Post by Moonshine Ike » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:41 pm

You know, years ago, my brother got caught with a couple of pounds of pot. Of course it wasn't his :>) My mom made a total "bleep" of herself around town claiming that her boy was innocent.

My brother used to braggadly (sp) refer to himself as the grass man. It was his pot. He got busted. He got convicted. I'm sure mom still think he's innocent, though :>)

MontanaBob, I'm going to ask you one more time.....how did your little buddy "discover" that little bird hunting gem way up in ole' Montana? You know, the same area where the RV gets parked for 3 months?

you got alot of 'splainin' to do, Bobber

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:50 pm

I have no idea i never asked him, but whether he somehow hotspotted the location on the internet or was told about the place by the mayor of plentywood that's what's really sticking in your craw isn't it. That's fine I get locals thinking they own the place.

However your claim he's a habitual poacher is false.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:38 am

QuillGordon wrote:....What I despise most is hotspotting
It is such a wide world....slightly off the "kick 'em" note, what I despise most is the loss of access on once open to the public corporate acreage, followed or even in importance with the mismanagment of the national forests.
No doubt each region of the country has it's own makers of despise.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:51 am

The only real way to stop hot spotting is to keep your fingers off the keyboard and your mouth shut. I've never understood this desire to post pictures and write essays about a hunt, post it all over the interwebs and then getting mad when people turn up in your spots. Posting pics is a form of advertising.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:31 am

Vision wrote:The only real way to stop hot spotting is to keep your fingers off the keyboard and your mouth shut. I've never understood this desire to post pictures and write essays about a hunt, post it all over the interwebs and then getting mad when people turn up in your spots. Posting pics is a form of advertising.
agree 100 percent if you must talk about don't say where, don't even say what state and make sure any hero shots don't have landmarks or license plates in them

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:46 am

The people in the Dakotas would really be hurting if no one ever talked about pheasant hunting or dog training spots.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:55 am

depends on your perspective the small-town stores and hotels would be hurting, the local hunters would definitely prefer we didn't come

codym

Post by codym » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:14 am

bobman wrote:I've hunted with Roy and nothing in this thread said about him is true. What we have here is a jealous local lying thru his teeth about a good man. Roy is the farthest thing from a game hog i ever known he won't shoot even a bird that volunteers up on its own or even one his dogs don't handle properly. I've watched him let them fly without even lifting his gun.

His only motivation for killing a bird is to reward one of his dogs for a job done properly. The claim he's a poacher is ridiculous and anyone that been on UJ knows the OP is lying about Brad and those two so called "accomplices that supposedly fled the raid". Anyone thats a regular on UJ can easily figure out who those "accomplices" are and should know darn well they would never break any game laws and definitely aren't there to shoot limits.

The over possession limit thing has a lot to do with refrigeration and friends he was helping out and that's all i will say about that.

That campground is packed with hunters open week of pheasant season then mostly empty for the rest of the season. I go the middle of the second week and Roys camper and mine were the only two there, we hunted for a week and never saw another group of bird hunters.

The only thing he's really guilty of is not properly storing birds in his refrigerator with wings and feet on them, however he labels both the type of bird and the date in each so he sure isn't trying to hide anything.

Lastly possession limits don't have anything to do with how long you can stay in a state they are simply a number nothing more or less, a non residents license is good for the entire season with the exact same priveledges as the resident license.

Residents don't end their season with one possession limit they eat them and then go back out hunting, non residents have the exact same option if they are retired and have the time.
Bob I don't know Roy and I don't really care that much about what he did or didn't do. He plead guilty and that's all I need to know. I disagree with you about possession limits. It maybe just a number but it's obviously a number set by game and fish for a reason. I would think it has to do more with waste of game than anything. When you get several days or weeks of limits of game birds realistically how many of those birds are going to be freezer burned or inedible. Possession limits are absolutely there to tell you to stop hunting in order to consume some of your take, doesn't mean you cant go out and point birds and fire a blank pistol, take pictures or whatever. It bothers me a bit that some bird hunters on this forum and others act like you can just disregard certain regulations because you don't like them or think they are pointless, it's not for you to decide.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 am

Cody, I don't see where you and I are in any disagreement ??

My point was simply possession limits are not a message to non residents to go home when they are reached. If you eat them and are retired and have the time you can continue to do so all season long, same as a resident.

I believe you don't know Roy because if you did you would know for certain there is more to this story. Roy did screw up but not in the way it looks.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:37 am

bobman wrote:Cody, I don't see where you and I are in any disagreement ??

My point was simply possession limits are not a message to non residents to go home when they are reached. If you eat them and are retired and have the time you can continue to do so all season long, same as a resident.

I believe you don't know Roy because if you did you would know for certain there is more to this story. Roy did screw up but not in the way it looks.

I re-read your post and have a better understanding of what your saying. I don't know Roy, I reached out to him via PM once and he never responded so that's the extent of our interaction. I have no issue with him all I'm saying is that the evidence was there and he plead guilty. I've been in law enforcement for 8 years now and there's always more to the story, and honestly you never get 100% of the truth. One thing this story has brought to light is that we as hunters need to understand the rules and regs and make sure we stay compliant.