House Breaking an Older Dog

Dakotazeb

House Breaking an Older Dog

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:19 pm

Every dog I've ever had started as a puppy. However, I'm thinking of getting a 2-3 year old female Brittany that has only lived in a kennel. Can someone give an idea of how much trouble I might have in housebreaking such a dog?
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: House Breaking an Older Dog

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:20 pm

I bought a 3 year old setter once and house training was a failure. We ended up installing a dog door so she could come and go as she pleased. No accidents in the house after that.

(My experience doesn't mean your dog would be similar - not a scientific study. :) )
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:25 pm

We've had a couple of female setter rescues, one was 12-13 and the other was 5. The old one had lived all her life in a Scotts Kennels and was also stone deaf. She housebroke in a couple of days. The other dog, no idea of her former life, but she was trustworthy in a day or two, except for a little relapse months in. One correction on that, and no problem from there on out.
The easy thing with older dogs as opposed to puppies, is that the older ones have lots more control over their functions, so no constant in and out. Also they understand the program way faster.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:05 pm

My experience is that it isn't a problem and is quicker than with a pup.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:32 pm

ezzy333 wrote:My experience is that it isn't a problem and is quicker than with a pup.
+1
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for your responses.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:48 am

Got pictures?

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:39 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:My experience is that it isn't a problem and is quicker than with a pup.
+1

+2

The main problem with a pup is just lack of control. Just watch your adult dog carefully and crate when unsupervised. It should not be a problem if you're sensible.

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:50 pm

You house train an adult the same way you house train a puppy.

Take them outside after meals and praise them when they do their thing outside. Inside the house, you watch them so you can interrupt them and get them outside if they indicate they need to relieve themselves. Crate them when you can not have 100% of your attention on them. When they come out of the crate, take them outside.

Do not punish for mistakes in the house. If you can catch them in the act, interrupt them, get them outside, and praise when they get the correct spot. If you punish, they might learn that it is bad to potty in the house, but you risk that what they learn is to be careful so that you don't see them potty in the house.

Dogs wont foul their own nest, but a house makes a mighty big nest, so you must show the dog the correct place.

All you are doing is forming a habit, so repeat repeat repeat. Praise works well, and I know that you guys mostly don't treat, but a cookie works really well when house training. Reward the correct behavior, interrupt the incorrect to substitute the correct behavior.

If the dog has lived in a kennel with free access to a run, the dog probably already has the habit of going outside. Reinforce that habit, watch the dog non-stop so you can be in the right position teach the dog that yes, that huge house really is all nest and isn't to be fouled, and yes, that is such a good dog to go outside.

Really, adult dogs are easy. Even dogs from puppy mills who have lived their live in a small cage on matted feces can be house trained, although that takes a little more patience.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:27 pm

Okay, so much for the house breaking issue. Seems it's not really an issue. Has anyone seen any problems in taking a 2-3 year old dog that has been a kennel dog it's entire life and transitioning it to a house dog? I'm assuming that most will make the transition without much problem. Just another aspect of training.

Makintrax73

Post by Makintrax73 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Okay, so much for the house breaking issue. Seems it's not really an issue. Has anyone seen any problems in taking a 2-3 year old dog that has been a kennel dog it's entire life and transitioning it to a house dog? I'm assuming that most will make the transition without much problem. Just another aspect of training.

My current setter was an outside dog, and nearly untrained when I got him at 1 1/2. Biggest problem was he was CONSTANTLY on edge when out of a crate for months after I got him. Took about 6 months, maybe a bit more, for him to develop an off switch. Everything seemed new and scary to him in a home. Now a little over a year later I walk out the front door in the AM and he is still sleeping on the couch when I get home at noon to let him out. Took a lot of patience and I didn't think he would ever live outside of a crate while I wasnt watching him.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:44 am

Got a rescue several years ago. Was nervous about getting him, he just didn't act normal. Think he was chained most of the time and half starved. He freaked out if we tried to chain him. That took a while to go away.Couple days after getting him he was using the dog door and I heard something in the back yard. Went to the window and saw him tearing around the back yard with a tennis ball in his mouth and a huge grin on his face. At that moment I knew everything was going to be alright. He's old now but has always seemed to really appreciate us giving him a good home.

Had to be neutered before we brought him home. The vet found a 22 slug in there. Was thinking of naming him slug but the little lady said no. Settled on buckshot. Buck for short. I'm thinking life was much better at our home and he seemed to know.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:08 pm

+3 on the house-training issue. Our little cow dog was a rescue that had previously lived outdoors. We crate trained him just like we did our pups and I think he'd rather die than make a mess in the house. As far as socializing, be prepared to be patient. Ours came with some baggage in the form of fear aggression. He was very worried that someone who reached out to touch him was going to do him harm. You could see the fear in his face and he did end up biting a couple of folks who didn't listen to my advice to leave him be. Turns our that his fear was legitimate as he had a broken hip that he was guarding. He's still a bit weary of strangers but is affectionate and loyal to those who take the time to earn his trust. That said, you might luck out and not have any problems at all. You won't know until you get the dog home. Point is, be patient. Whatever negative behavior the dog might exhibit is a product of their past experiences and will take some time to un-do. A gentle hand and a solid, consistent routine will bring them around. Good luck and thanks for considering a rescue :D
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:23 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:Okay, so much for the house breaking issue. Seems it's not really an issue. Has anyone seen any problems in taking a 2-3 year old dog that has been a kennel dog it's entire life and transitioning it to a house dog? I'm assuming that most will make the transition without much problem. Just another aspect of training.
I haven't done it with a bird dog, but a 3 year old German Shepherd who had never been out of her kennel run. Cleaned the dog poop smell off of her and brought her inside and she thought she had gone to heaven. She was very careful to follow the rules exactly so that she wouldn't be thrown out again. Good breeding on that dog. She was fearless and kind and hadn't been ruined by being locked in a kennel without attention and you've never seen such loyalty.

A one year old Australian Shepherd made the transition OK. He was delighted to be inside the house but had learned a lot of bad behavior and it was a booger trying to convince him to do things differently. As far as he was concerned, he had no problem moving inside, but he thought I was a little stupid because he knew how things should go and I refused to catch on. He was hard work but now he is always the best dog there, no matter where we are. (which, unfortunately, is not saying much considering how badly behaved most dogs are out in public). His problem was that he had thoroughly learned that he could do anything he wanted as long as nobody saw him. That made it difficult to train him, but he finally gave up and is doing it our way. He's high energy, persistent, and way too smart for his own good. He took immediately to being a house dog and it has been worth the hard work to teach him manners.

I've brought in other adults, but they have been well cared for and well raised and none of them kennel dogs.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:02 pm

Just my opinion, but I think most kennel dogs will think they hit the proverbial lottery when they are allowed inside and will be on their absolutely BEST behavior, lest they be banished to the outdoor kennel again.

I have only had one dog in the house and he came in when he was about 6 and was inside, full time, until we lost him at age 17. Zero issues, even though, for the last six months of his life I had to carry him up the basement steps to put him out. The only times he ever pottied in the house was twice and, both times he had not been let out for over 24 hours, because we messed up.

RayG

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:30 am

Housetraining like others have said is not a real issue just handle the same you would a puppy. But I have had outside dogs that just did not want to be house dogs. They'd come in for a few hours but anything more than that was too much. Now I've also had dogs that lived their lives on the chain or in kennels completely content then moved into the house seamlessly. Just have to take it on a case by case basis.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.