Terrible 2's??

Tmechelberry

Terrible 2's??

Post by Tmechelberry » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 am

My 7 month old setter recently started having accidents in the house again after 3 months of being completely house broken. He is not showing any signs of a bladder infection so I am confused on what's going on here. He is the first dog I've ever had that is allowed in the house so I've never run across this problem before. Is this just a rebellious stage he is going through or does it have to do with him going through some hormonal changes at this age because he is still intact?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Terrible 2's??

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Not sure what is going on but am sure being in tack has nothing to do with it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:48 pm

I'd have a vet check for a bladder infection/UTI.

reba

Post by reba » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:40 am

Had that problem with a female GSP at the age of 3 years.

There is just times when she has go pee.

I let her out more often and it solved the problem :D

BTW I had to go out side with her to make sure she did her thing. She could run around and check things out and never go pee until I told her and showed her what needed done. Funny how all the other dogs learned what "go pee" means.

My two male dogs have recently learned not to pee on the electro-mesh fencing :oops: (set up to keep some sheep in a small area).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 am

Did the neighbors all watch as you showed your pup what go pee means? lol

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 pm

deleted - inappropriate
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:23 pm

For a dog at 7 months I, like others, would have his urine checked! Sometimes the only 'sign' is they pee in the house. If you find nothing....

did you use a kennel to house break this pup?

If so go back to the kennel training routine, dog will not pee where they sleep (unless your kennel is large enough that he can go to one end and pee and not have to lay in it later). You probably know the routine, take him out after eating and after drinking. Do not give the pup any access to water after 9pm. I always have the kennel in my bedroom until they are house broken. If they get restless, spinning around, scratching, etc. take them out to pee or whatever. etc. etc.

If he is free in the house make sure he pee's prior to being set free, then if he drinks, back out to pee! etc. etc.

Lots of other tricks you probably know, if not or if you did not use a kennel to house break the dog, do a search on the internet about Kennel training a dog....

Good Luck

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:39 pm

We just went though a similar experience with our French Brittany - now almost 10 months. He seemed to regress on potty training a little and listening to commands in general -- almost like he wanted to test us a bit. It happened at about 7 months and again just before 9 months. All of a sudden over the past 2 weeks the time span over which he can hold urine has gone up 2-3x as well. I have no idea if that is a coincidence or what, but it sure is nice! We just tried to stay as consistent with bit potty training as we could to continually reinforce what he had previously proven he already knew. We also started picking up the water bowl around 8pm - we usually go to bed / he gets crated for the night at about 10pm. We do put a tiny bit of water in his crate though - 1/2" of water in the bottom of the bowl. Stick with it, I know how frustrating it is!

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 am

We went through this with our male setter as well.
We'd go months without an accident, and then all of a sudden - he was peeing in the house again! Drove my husband and I NUTS.
We got ours at 7 months old though (He was dumped at 6 months old at a shelter after his original owners thought he had "too much energy".... not sure what they expected when they bought a field-bred ES) so there was a bit of a potty training delay due to that hiccup in his training.

We have a neighbor nearby who raises setters and field trials them - he suggested that sometimes, the breed just takes a bit longer to mature than others.
Our older dog was potty trained in literally weeks - but this guy just took a lot of patience and correction. He's 2 years old now, and we no longer crate him during work hours. Knock on wood - he hasn't had an accident in well over 9 months.
It wasn't until he was about a year and 3 months old though that we got him to that point, and even after that, he was crated any time we left the house until just this past January (about a year and 9 months old).

One thing that did help us was getting him a smaller crate. Initially, we were using our larger dog's former crate (a XL crate with the black bars).
He would actually pee out the side of it when he was crated, so it wasn't helping with our house training. I consulted on here, and folks suggested the smaller "Air plane" style plastic crates with just the holes in the side. We got him one large enough to stand in and turn around in. With no option to pee out the side, he held his bladder during the day until we got home. And eventually, he started to love his crate - it's his "den" now - anytime he gets a kong or a chewy, he takes it in there and enjoys it in his spot!

So stick with it - might just be a maturation issue that he'll grow out of! Never a bad idea just to get his urine tested, just to be sure he's not dealing with a UTI.
Best of Luck!