Dog crate/box build

Nmhuntr

Dog crate/box build

Post by Nmhuntr » Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 pm

I am thinking of building a single dog box. I like aluminum ones but they are not cheap. I could easily use wood but I was concerned about the weight since I have to take it in and out of the truck when I am not using it. What are the problems with building one out of thin metal? The main problem I came up with was that it would not lose heat as quickly as aluminum does one hot day. Does anyone have experience with this or any pics?

Thanks

reba

Re: Dog crate/box build

Post by reba » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:52 am

Take a look at the Ruff Tough Kennels

Building one will always have seams to collect dirt and the door will also be a problem.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:06 am

Nmhuntr wrote:I am thinking of building a single dog box. I like aluminum ones but they are not cheap. I could easily use wood but I was concerned about the weight since I have to take it in and out of the truck when I am not using it. What are the problems with building one out of thin metal? The main problem I came up with was that it would not lose heat as quickly as aluminum does one hot day. Does anyone have experience with this or any pics?

Thanks

Years back, I bought an aluminum box from Creative Sports Supply,. It was fabricated from thin, pebble grain aluminum sheeting. A two dog box was light enough for me to handle, in and out of the truck(which is why I went that way in the first place).

The edges and corners were all double over or rolled for strength and rigidity. There were no welds, as I recall, just pop rivets. Since I was putting it inside a truck cap, I had them put a strip expanded metal at the back of the crates, for ventilation instead of the solid back.

The only problem I had with the box was with the doors. The center of the door was an expanded aluminum grid and a couple of my dogs chewed on the mesh and tore it open. I replaced the aluminum mesh with steel expanded metal and ...problem solved.

The other thing is...the box IS light. It needs to be secured or it will slide around in a truck bed. I wound up making a plywood slider that fit into the bed and secured the box to the slider.

As far as durability, my son now has the box and still uses it, so it has served for over 20 years. If you can build one yourself and you make it rigid, it should last you as long as you need.

Sorry, no pics.

RayG

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:33 am

Here's a homemade one !
It was made up for my first shorthair and retired to the living room for an end table after he passed. Worked great his whole life. Oak 1 X material for framing with 1/4 inch oak plywood. He loved it .
Image Image

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:35 am

here are some links for you:

http://justlabs.cc/Pricelist.html

http://www.diamonddeluxe.com/r_style_dog_box.php

Also..check on Craig's List...usually in farm and garden section

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 am

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Max2 wrote:Here's a homemade one !
It was made up for my first shorthair and retired to the living room for an end table after he passed. Worked great his whole life. Oak 1 X material for framing with 1/4 inch oak plywood. He loved it .
Image Image
I think I would chew up something just to spend a few hours in that box. :lol:

Very nice

Grant

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:01 am

Max2, that box is a piece of furniture not a dog box. VERY nice job!
I have been there and back at least 3 times re dog boxes. I had a dog box (nothing as nice as the one shown above) then a double dog box. Mine were made of wood too. They worked fine but I was constantly loading and unloading so it was a bit of a pain in the asterisk. They can smell too after awhile.
A friend built a nice aluminum 2 dog unit. He did a very nice job. Years later, he sold it. I'm thinking for the same reason I got rid of mine but to be honest, I didn't ask him.
I keep going back to what works in terms of both function and versatility. The main reason is that I might transport 1 dog or 4....depending. Also consider that if you have a huntin' buddy that comes with you most times, where does he put his dog? You could say that's his responsibility I guess.
Airline crates (I have a variety of makes and sizes which I typically buy off of Kijiji) are what I keep going back to. They are light/user friendly especially for a mature guy like me - easy to load/unload, easy to relocate within the truck depending on what else you are carrying, can be easily moved into a hotel or cottage as a temporary home, very easy to keep clean (especially in the event of an "accident"), and cheap!
Different strokes for different folks - it's not a right wrong thing. I'm just sharing because, like I said, I've been there and back.
Lastly, a wooden structure need be SOLID. Some dogs are escape artists making wood less-than-ideal for diggers/chewers. I'd hate for you to go on a long trip and arrive one dog short!

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:57 am

Featherfinder ~ The box pictured was made for me by the person who introduced me to gun dogs. I thank you for the compliment and I will inform him when I speak to him of your kind words on his workmanship. Apparently he has made a number of them over the years as his dog box was identical. At the time I don't know who was more excited about me gett'n a dog ~ he or I :D One night when I was at his house he said " lets go down to the shop and make a dog box" A couple hours later it was complete. I refinished it when I retired it ~ as it was " Jax's" box. And thinking back that little guy was a perfect gentleman when in his crate. Never chewed or damaged it in any way. As a matter of fact he slept nightly in it with door open.
...... until he found the coach a little more comfortable :D I miss that little guy.

doglovers

Post by doglovers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:15 am

I have box made with wood and it has some holes in it which make it comfortable for my dog, now I am thinking to get another dog and want to make aluminium box for him. Do I need the suggestion that it would be great or not?

http://www.irishdogs.ie/articles/top-10 ... puppy.html

huntindog1

Post by huntindog1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:06 am

Was a guy in Indiana years ago, he was a metal worker had bender and shear to cut and bend thin aluminum sheeting.
He made a really nice box. Was light enough to put in truck by one person.

I still have one its like 30 years old. I have replace some rivots over time.

I will try and post a picture on here.