do dogs cry?

kbshorthairs

do dogs cry?

Post by kbshorthairs » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:10 pm

My puppy is five months old and I am afraid he has something wrong with his eyes. They are watering like crazy! I am not talking about a little in the corner of his eye. He looks like my wife after she watches Steel Magnolias!! All around both eyes and it is constant. I use grass hay for bedding and was wondering if he has some type of allergy or hayfever. I have never seen this with a dog before and any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

vzkennels

Re: do dogs cry?

Post by vzkennels » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:15 pm

KB check his lower eye lids & see if they roll in to where the hair is rubbing his eyes if so that is the problem.It's called Entropion,not sure of the spelling.The spelling is correct.
Last edited by vzkennels on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:30 pm

Dogs are not human, despite what the movies teach. What emotions they feel have been studied for years with no absolute results. It's very possible the dog is allergic to grass hay as this is a common allergen.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Check the eye lids first. That sounds like it could be the problem.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:07 pm

Are they red? Swollen?
Is the discharge clear or mucoid? Does the dog exhibit painful responce when you press GENTLY on the eyeball through closed eyelids? IF pain is evident, then I would promptly take pup to your attending veteranirian.

Hard to say what it is without seeing pup. could be a myriad of things.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Have you just started using the hay with him and he just started having the problem--or have you been using hay all along and the problem just arose now. Definitely want to have a look at eyelids and eyes...or better yet, have your vet do so. If it's entropian, left untreated it can cause scarring of the cornea. Denise

remmy

Post by remmy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Entropion is an easy fix but must be fixed early before damaging cornea.
Last edited by remmy on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Remmy entropion is either eye lid upper or lower but most common in the lower.Ectoropion is just the opposite of entropion it's a loose or droopy eye lid.

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:07 pm

If your vet says it's entropian, it's an easy fix. One of my previous dogs (shar-pei - "wrinkle dog" - common problem) from ages ago had to have "day" surgery - it wasn't too expensive ($400-$600 back then).....
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:15 pm

Not to make light of a potentially serious condition but ...

My dog cries regularly, when I'm shooting/missing.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:03 am

I would say it is one of three things: entropion, which like said before is a folding inwards of either the upper or lower eyelid causing the lashes to over time scar the cornea and cause blindness. The scarring is a condition called trichiasis and is the number one cause of blindness in children of third world countries. It is an easy fix. Or allergies like those before said. Or it could be a plugged tear duct in the lower lid, causing the tears to drain down the face instead of through the duct. That is also an easy fix that just requires a irrigation of the duct. It is also easy to determine, if you put some fluorescein dye into the eye and it doesn't come out the nose the duct is closed or obstructed.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Puppy had his first checkup since being home today and the only real issue I had to ask the vet about was his right eye watering.

Vet did the dye test as mentioned above and he said that the duct is clogged. He said it really wasnt a big deal, is very common in pups, and that there is a good chance that he will outgrow it. He also said if he didn't to just make sure to keep the area where the tears drip clean. Says he can put the dog under and try irrigation, but says he doesn't like to do that, even in older dogs.

Just looking for some opinions and thoughts. My last dog had so many issues that this sort of gives me the "here we go again" feeling. Anybody have experience with this?

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm

take the dog to the vet he can id the prob. in just a few min. prob nothing but could be my dog had ulcer in one of his eyes been treating it and it has not got any worst and seems to have improved

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:25 pm

setterpoint wrote:take the dog to the vet he can id the prob. in just a few min. prob nothing but could be my dog had ulcer in one of his eyes been treating it and it has not got any worst and seems to have improved
If I can read I think he just said he was at the vets when this discussion came up.

Ezzy

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:03 am

ezzy333 wrote:
setterpoint wrote:take the dog to the vet he can id the prob. in just a few min. prob nothing but could be my dog had ulcer in one of his eyes been treating it and it has not got any worst and seems to have improved
If I can read I think he just said he was at the vets when this discussion came up.

Ezzy
Ezzy............one of us needs new glasses....the original poster only posted once so far and I see no comment in that saying he was at the vet...? Just saying.... :mrgreen:

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:47 am

Timewise65 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
Ezzy............one of us needs new glasses....the original poster only posted once so far and I see no comment in that saying he was at the vet...? Just saying.... :mrgreen:

Timewise, I believe Ezzy was referring to my post.

I stated that I "bumped the old thread" in my post, but it has since been removed?? Russians probably.

Anyway, instead of starting a new thread, I used the search and resurrected this thread because it was essentially the same issue. Since posting I have talked to a couple people that have seen this. Some say their dogs outgrew it, and another said his 7 year old has not. Says he has never had issues with it other than the crying appearance.

Neither of the people I spoke to are hunters though, so was curious if anyone here, who hunts, had this issue and more importantly what the thoughts were on having the duct irrigated if the problem persists.

doglovers

Post by doglovers » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Plz check the eyelids first, it may be the problem but consult with your vet doctor, he can help you better.

http://www.irishdogs.ie/articles/top-10 ... puppy.html