Smaller GSP lines

magspa

Smaller GSP lines

Post by magspa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am

What are some lines and/or breeders to look at for a smaller compact GSP? thanks

Meller

Re: Smaller GSP lines

Post by Meller » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 pm

I would check with Charlie Rose, right close there in Texas.(I think Wild Rose GSP's. should get you close.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Just about bought a dog from him. He didn't use to update his website so you had to contact him to know what litters he had coming but I think he wouldn't be a bad choice.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:45 am

Heck, if you're going that far, go for the "Cadillac". Check out some of Mr. Glover's Elhew-bred pointers. Once you do, you're hooked forever. Got one up here that hunts the prairies and the grouse woods with class and stamina. This dog is our go-to dog when the other dogs are reduced to rags! Powerful, smart, tons of bottom-end, a CRAZY strong nose and is literally a quiet couch potato with a tremendous biddable personality in the home. He was a natural retriever too but we won't go there. I saw an aggressive male come looking for trouble yet this pointer TOTALLY disregarded the aggressor. He didn't avoid the other dog. He didn't even acknowledge the other growling dog's presence! All he thinks about is birds....period. (And yes, he is an intact male.)
His owner also claims to have taken him goose hunting up at his cottage - loves water!
He is one of three dogs along with a older GSP and a typical yappy Chihuahua. I watched this pointer navigate around as if he's the only dog there oblivious to the other's antics, sachet up to his chair, and go to sleep as if to say, "If we ain't goin' huntin'....(sigh). Zzzzzz......"
http://www.yellowrosekennel.com/index.html/

Shellottome

Smaller GSP lines

Post by Shellottome » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Comparing a pointer to a Gsp is like comparing apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magspa

Post by magspa » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for the Elhew-bred pointers recommendation but I'm going to stick with GSP's. And also thanks for the recommendation of wildrose, I hear he has great dogs.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 am

While I might agree with you Shellottome, there are some really decent GSPs out there (mind you, some have been crossed with pointers) and while they aren't pointers, they are still very nice dogs and can suit a certain terrain and hunting style nicely. I was just offering the OP a chance to see/shop some nice pointers at Yellow Rose - a comparison of sorts. If he has his heart set on a GSP, I provided the option with the best of intentions. The final decision remains his own, of course.
As much as I had Brittanys for 26 years and have seen literally many hundreds of wonderful bird dogs in a variety of breeds, I personally will only ever own a setter or pointer. It's funny how we hold true to a specific breed (as I did for the aforementioned 26 years) as if WE created the breed, named it after ourselves and brought it to the rest of the world. Some can feel like traitors for switching to another breed, even when there is a superior bird dog out there. "Breed-blind" is what they call it, I believe?
Some of the fallacies re pointers are:
- they don't like water,
- they don't have a natural retrieve instinct,
- they are knot-heads,
- they don't make good companions in the home,
- they are renegades, etc.
In fact, these are often trainer shortcomings and not a reflection of this breed's potential or natural ability/cooperation as some "associations" will call them.
A fact re pointers:
- they can end up with messed up tails because their pace - one of the very things that makes them superior on wild birds - can really bloody up their tails while ripping through grouse or woodcock-rich cover (setters too). I know of some trialers that had or tried to have the dog's tail surgically repaired or HAD to have them altered because of the severity or repetitive damage.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 am

I had tails normally injured in the kennels beating on the wire, but seldom in the field. Tails and ears can drive you crazy trying to fix them once injured. And they can cover the earth with blood it seems.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Featherfinder wrote:While I might agree with you Shellottome, there are some really decent GSPs out there (mind you, some have been crossed with pointers) and while they aren't pointers, they are still very nice dogs and can suit a certain terrain and hunting style nicely. I was just offering the OP a chance to see/shop some nice pointers at Yellow Rose - a comparison of sorts. If he has his heart set on a GSP, I provided the option with the best of intentions. The final decision remains his own, of course.
As much as I had Brittanys for 26 years and have seen literally many hundreds of wonderful bird dogs in a variety of breeds, I personally will only ever own a setter or pointer. It's funny how we hold true to a specific breed (as I did for the aforementioned 26 years) as if WE created the breed, named it after ourselves and brought it to the rest of the world. Some can feel like traitors for switching to another breed, even when there is a superior bird dog out there. "Breed-blind" is what they call it, I believe?
Some of the fallacies re pointers are:
- they don't like water,
- they don't have a natural retrieve instinct,
- they are knot-heads,
- they don't make good companions in the home,
- they are renegades, etc.
In fact, these are often trainer shortcomings and not a reflection of this breed's potential or natural ability/cooperation as some "associations" will call them.
A fact re pointers:
- they can end up with messed up tails because their pace - one of the very things that makes them superior on wild birds - can really bloody up their tails while ripping through grouse or woodcock-rich cover (setters too). I know of some trialers that had or tried to have the dog's tail surgically repaired or HAD to have them altered because of the severity or repetitive damage.

Well said. I've heard all those fallacies about pointers. Nice to see them listed.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 pm

In some lines some of those traits may not be fallacies.
I've got a white gsp that also has a couple of those traits.
It's almost like she has some all white pointer blood.
She isnt an easy one but she is a bird finding machine.
Last edited by greg jacobs on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shellottome

Smaller GSP lines

Post by Shellottome » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 pm

I own nothing but Gsp's my friend. Pointers are way to soft for the hunting I do in the off season. Wait off season?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am

Jagermister line has small compact FAST dogs. Good noses. Jim Wall just moved his operation to Idaho Falls ID

IANative

Post by IANative » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am

Braque Francais Type Pyrenees a possibility? My 10.5 month old male is <50 lbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BraqueFrancais115

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:53 am

I'll also endorse the Braque Francais breed. They're softer than GSP's - temperament - and also smaller.. typically in the 40-50 lb range with a few outliers weighing up to 55 lbs. Amazing natural hunters and even more amazing companions.