microchip

art hubbard

microchip

Post by art hubbard » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Have anyone here heard of any problems with microchips in your dogs? I was just told by a friend of mine that his GSP developed a tumor at the site of the chip, had to remove chip and the tumor that was in between her shoulders where chips are normally injected. Says it was pretty nasty.

Featherfinder

Re: microchip

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 am

It's conceivable that the tumor is a result of the m/chip but I wouldn't pretend to know. Chips have been in use for many years but this is the first I've heard of a tumor resulting and I'm not a DVM so you don't want to quote this guy that it doesn't happen often. I could easier believe that some dogs might have an adverse reaction, perhaps?
What I have heard on more than one occasion is that chips will migrate which in of itself is not great. Some chips were inserted and in years to come had to be "mined". Eventually there were found in close proximity but not exactly where they were inserted (one not-so-close).
Still, they have their purpose I believe. While they aren't the answer to the single-digit-IQ sub-species that would knowingly keep someone else's dog, they could help you get your lost dog back. Anything that assists in this regard is to be considered, in my mind.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:56 am

It can happen but it's rare. It seems one of the questions about animals that develop the tumors, is whether they are individuals who are more prone to cancer in the first place.

An article from the AVMA...more pertinent info towards the bottom. https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Refer ... under.aspx

Did your friend happen to mention the type of tumor? I'm curious, having a past life in cancer diagnostics.

DougB

Post by DougB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Question is about odds. What is more likely to happen-dog disappears while hunting or dog develops a tumor that is caused by the chip.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm

art hubbard wrote:Have anyone here heard of any problems with microchips in your dogs? I was just told by a friend of mine that his GSP developed a tumor at the site of the chip, had to remove chip and the tumor that was in between her shoulders where chips are normally injected. Says it was pretty nasty.
Never heard of any problems as far as cancer goes.
I don't use a microchip anymore.
If a dog is stolen , the new vet ( if the person goes to one), doesn't check for a chip.
If the dog is lost , the collar ID is satisfactory.
Know this from experience.

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:09 pm

shags wrote:It can happen but it's rare. It seems one of the questions about animals that develop the tumors, is whether they are individuals who are more prone to cancer in the first place.

An article from the AVMA...more pertinent info towards the bottom. https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Refer ... under.aspx

Did your friend happen to mention the type of tumor? I'm curious, having a past life in cancer diagnostics.

I asked him about the tumor, He said he didn't know what kind it was but knew it was not cancer.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:49 pm

Glad for your friend it wasn't anything more than icky.

One of my dogs had a chip that migrated, it went down around his lower rib cage. He was thin skinned so it was easy to feel it. Other than that, no problems.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Heard of a lump forming on a Brittany. Owner also said vet put it in the wrong place and will not go back. I think it was placed closer to the shoulder muscle. I have always seen them put in the folds of the back of the neck.

overit2

Post by overit2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 am

I dont' feel comfortable with it-given the reason of site tumors I've heard of..not just once case either. There are other ways to identify which IMO are safer. I'm considering the tattoo in inner thigh...but honestly it's rare we have our dog out of sight even when hunting. I don't think the chances of him getting lost are high. I would like to think an identifying collar is good.