oral flea medication

P&PGunsmith

oral flea medication

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 am

i have always used frontline on my dogs for flea control. My son asked me about oral flea medication for his Lab. I know very little about these products. Can you all help with which ones you use and why it is the best? added. it should work for ticks as well.

P&PGunsmith

Re: oral flea medication

Post by P&PGunsmith » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 pm

dog dr wrote:if you just want to prevent fleas and ticks, I like nexgard. chewable, most dogs eat it like a treat. and it works. Or bravecto is good too.
Thanks for your response. is there something that does fleas, ticks and more?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:34 pm

nothing that does it all, but products like Trifexis and Adantage-Multi will prevent fleas, heartworms, and most intestinal parasites. For my clients that need to worry about ticks I usually recommend Interceptor (for heartworms and intestinal worms) along with Nexgard (for fleas and ticks).

Seresto collar works well for fleas and ticks too, but no heartworm prevention.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Nexguard.... That what I use. Works easily and is very effective. Bravecto works well too and you don't give it as often , but more $$.
As Ontario winters have become so much more mild, this will be the first year I'm going to give it all year .

( I wish there was something that made those beggar ticks fly off. :) )

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm

We've been using Sentinel/Sentinel Spectrum for years with excellent results - not a flea in my house or on my dogs for 15-20 years ( or whenever we started using it). Sentinel also takes care of most intestinal worms, and heartworm.

We started using Seresto collars for ticks this year, our first year where we've found any ticks around here. My vet has a new oral med for ticks, but deer ticks are not on the label for that.

I remember the first time we bought Sentinel...my vet had recommended it but it seemed pricey for 3 dogs at around $10/tab. I was in Walmart with a cart full of flea bombs, yard/kennel spray, and dog shampoo to the tune of $110, and thought WTH am I doing? Went straight to the vet's clinic, got the Sentinel and some Capstar, and two weeks later not a flea around here anywhere.