In need of some input

GSP FNG

In need of some input

Post by GSP FNG » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:15 am

My wife and I have decided to get another GSP. The one I have is currently 7 months old, is pretty much spun up to where it’s just consistency in daily livelihood, training and letting him be a puppy. The only thing is I’m going to stake him out to because he’s not grasping pulling on the lead. He is out of the crate and by himself at night. My questions are, if I have one pup proven to be trusted alone I.e. no destructive behavior, urinating in house or pooping, what will happen if I’m crate training one 8 week old pup while the other is out? Second, what will terrain exposure be like in the age gap or chasing birds? Third is there any advice I need to know about two different aged pups one being 7 months old and the other 2 months old? Any advice would be great.
Hardtops Up... Softtops Down... Brothers for life.
Semper Fidelis

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: In need of some input

Post by shags » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:07 pm

You said 'any advice' so here it is...I'd hold off on getting another pup so soon.

First, if you choose the same gender, you could wind up with problems with fighting when the dogs hit puberty. This occurred at my house with two separate sets of pups. The fighting was horrible to deal with and it went on all the dogs' lives.

Secondly, remember when you have two youngs now, you'll have two old dogs later. Unless you can add another dog or two in the years to come, you could end up stuck for a while.

Other than that, it's much easier to get one dog right where you want him before adding another to the mix. Training two at a time is doable, but you have to have the time and patience to get it done.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Great insight from Shags! Sounds like you have some work to do with the 7 month old "pup" and that of itself can keep a person pretty busy, done right.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Good advice. Just make sure you think about the years ahead. I always liked starting a pup after you have a finished dog for a year or so. Worked better when they were young but was absolutely great when they aged and it came time to start another one.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm with everyone else--hold off on the 2nd dog until the first on is completely trained. I used to space my dogs about 3 years apart--that way I have one old dog, 2 hard hunting dogs, and 1 pup just learning. :D This worked well for me in the past, but I'm getting old, so I'm spacing my dogs about 5 years apart now. :roll:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:03 pm

Ditto to all of the above.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:40 pm

A 7 month old GSP and a pup? The 7 month old is your first gundog and you work all day?
Don't do this to yourself or the 7 month old. Everything changes when you have 2 dogs instead of one.
Just the thought of it makes me tired. :)

( I have a 12 year old dog and a 4 year old and that is challenge enough.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:14 pm

I have a 17 month old dog and am fostering a rescue as well. The dirt, mess, rambunctiousness is a multiplied by 5 with one extra dog.

I crate both of them when I leave but only the foster at night, no problem with that.

The thing is, dogs are usually about as smart or a little dumber than you think they are, but they’re way more perceptive than you think.

I can normally heal my dog through a room lined with steak and dog treats, but when he sees that I have foster dog on a leash, he knows that my ability to handle him is compromised. Today I literally picked 45 lb foster dog up to run my GWP down and heel him by the scruff of his neck for not listening. Got some funny looks in the park but whatever. Probably this same perceptiveness is why I can’t ever get a good video of my force fetch progress. He’ll be making good progress but when I whip the phone out to record he gets stupider all of a sudden and he acts like I asked him to bake a cake.

GSP FNG

Post by GSP FNG » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:10 am

Well folks, if this forum layout had the ability to notify you somehow, without having to religiously check it, I would’ve saved a 8 hr trip there and back to the breeder. I was 45 minutes away before I had the bright idea to check the post a second time and I got all your responses. This response is targeted to each individual as a whole. I thank you folks for your valuable input. I was 45 minutes away from the breeder upon reading your responses and I turned the vehicle around on a dime. Your responses saved me possibly 12 years of headaches not needed and the knowledge of spreading them out. I’m not easily convinced but something like this I couldn’t be. This forum has its negatives and are few but has some of the best information you can possibly have that people would be willing to pay for. I thank everybody and acknowledge I didn’t get a second pup. The pup I have was thrilled to see me when I got home but I can’t fathom how’d he be if I brought another home whom could’ve been viewed as competition. Thank y’all.
Semper Fidelis

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:32 pm

Glad you made that decision.

(Your first post on this subject was yesterday afternoon, and all replies- except one - were yesterday. Not sure how you missed them.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I think it can be set to notify when someone answers your post but not sure. I will try to find out.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:21 pm

GSP FNG wrote:Well folks, if this forum layout had the ability to notify you somehow, without having to religiously check it, I would’ve saved a 8 hr trip there and back to the breeder. I was 45 minutes away before I had the bright idea to check the post a second time and I got all your responses. This response is targeted to each individual as a whole. I thank you folks for your valuable input. I was 45 minutes away from the breeder upon reading your responses and I turned the vehicle around on a dime. Your responses saved me possibly 12 years of headaches not needed and the knowledge of spreading them out. I’m not easily convinced but something like this I couldn’t be. This forum has its negatives and are few but has some of the best information you can possibly have that people would be willing to pay for. I thank everybody and acknowledge I didn’t get a second pup. The pup I have was thrilled to see me when I got home but I can’t fathom how’d he be if I brought another home whom could’ve been viewed as competition. Thank y’all.
Yup—you all lucked out.
Give this pup all you have and make him think you are the best thing since fresh meat.
Love him and he will love you and do his best within his breeding and training to please you.
If you are able—get some professional help and guidance. Even a little can go a long way.
Do not under-estimate this.

Have fun and be patient.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:06 am

Keep in mind that today, owning a (second) dog can come with significant Veterinary expenses.
You made the right decision. Now, let's focus on making that first pup be all he can be.

GSP FNG

Post by GSP FNG » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Thank y’all for all your posts. Happy Time to all y’all.
Semper Fidelis