High protien foods and poop

Nmhuntr

High protien foods and poop

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:02 am

I am feeding Victor All Life Stages which is 33% protien 16 % fat. My 3 month old eats about 1.2-2 cups per day. To me she is pooping a lot. No problems with the poop but I was thinking a quality dog food with no grain would stay with ber more. Is this common for high energy dog foods? My other dogs are low energy lap dogs so this is new territory for me.

Thanks
Greg

bustingcover

Re: High protien foods and poop

Post by bustingcover » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:21 am

How big is your pup it sounds like you may just be feeding too much. The dog can only use so much and the rest gets pooped out.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:07 am

Nmhuntr wrote:I am feeding Victor All Life Stages which is 33% protien 16 % fat. My 3 month old eats about 1.2-2 cups per day. To me she is pooping a lot. No problems with the poop but I was thinking a quality dog food with no grain would stay with ber more. Is this common for high energy dog foods? My other dogs are low energy lap dogs so this is new territory for me.

Thanks
Greg
I question if pooping a lot is a problem, Especially since you are just thinking maybe and not really knowing. I do know grain free is a fad and actually a harmful one since grain is an important part of a working dogs diet. Just my opinion, but I don't see that you have a problem at all.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am

Thank

I was not sure if it was considered a problem with the type of food I am feeding and looks like it probbaly is not

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 pm

bustingcover wrote:How big is your pup it sounds like you may just be feeding too much. The dog can only use so much and the rest gets pooped out.

Shenis 3 months and about 10 poinds. I feed 1.5-2 cups a day if she eats it.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Nmhuntr wrote:
bustingcover wrote:How big is your pup it sounds like you may just be feeding too much. The dog can only use so much and the rest gets pooped out.

Shenis 3 months and about 10 poinds. I feed 1.5-2 cups a day if she eats it.
2cups of that food is the recommended for a 40lb dog. Might just be a lot of food I wouldn’t worry about it
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

cld22

Post by cld22 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:16 pm

So I recently had this problem when I switched my dogs to a new food that I thought would be awesome and while they loved it and their coats looked great, good energy, the amount of poop was ridiculous. So I just had to find another one that worked for them. I don't think it has much to do with high protein or even grain free as much as how your individual dog processes the food.

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:28 pm

I may try swapping food after this bag just to see. Feed another brand for a couple of bags. I dont like swapping feed on them but it is neccessary to find the right one for this dog.

Thanks

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:34 am

bustingcover wrote:2cups of that food is the recommended for a 40lb dog. Might just be a lot of food I wouldn’t worry about it
I agree. If you are feeding a 10 lb. dog 1.5-2 cups a day that is way too much. No wonder she is pooping a lot. I'd cut back to 1 cup a day. I have a 16 month old female Brittany that weighs 33#. I feed her 1.75-2 cups per day and she gets a lot of exercise especially now with hunting season in full swing.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:55 am

Dakotazeb wrote:
bustingcover wrote:2cups of that food is the recommended for a 40lb dog. Might just be a lot of food I wouldn’t worry about it
I agree. If you are feeding a 10 lb. dog 1.5-2 cups a day that is way too much. No wonder she is pooping a lot. I'd cut back to 1 cup a day. I have a 16 month old female Brittany that weighs 33#. I feed her 1.75-2 cups per day and she gets a lot of exercise especially now with hunting season in full swing.

So just because she will eat does not mean she needs more nutrition?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:42 am

Nmhuntr wrote:So just because she will eat does not mean she needs more nutrition?

That's probably true as long as she is getting a quality food. However, every dog is different. The feeding guidelines on the bag are just that "Guidelines". A starting point, and you need to adjust from there. You certainly do not want your pup to become overweight. But just because she will eat it doesn't mean she needs it. I've had some dogs that would eat themselves to death if you put down the amount they'd eat and then others that were very picky, light eaters. My recommendation would be to cut her back to 1-1.25 cups and see how she does. If you have the pup into the vet for a shot or checkup have the vet give you their opinion as to her weight. I'd rather have a dog a little on the thin side than on the overweight side. Good luck with your pup.

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:19 am

Dakotazeb wrote:
Nmhuntr wrote:So just because she will eat does not mean she needs more nutrition?

That's probably true as long as she is getting a quality food. However, every dog is different. The feeding guidelines on the bag are just that "Guidelines". A starting point, and you need to adjust from there. You certainly do not want your pup to become overweight. But just because she will eat it doesn't mean she needs it. I've had some dogs that would eat themselves to death if you put down the amount they'd eat and then others that were very picky, light eaters. My recommendation would be to cut her back to 1-1.25 cups and see how she does. If you have the pup into the vet for a shot or checkup have the vet give you their opinion as to her weight. I'd rather have a dog a little on the thin side than on the overweight side. Good luck with your pup.
Had her at the vet yesturday. She is 14.4 pounds at 4 months. I cannot see ribs but can easily feel them. I need to leard now to resize pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:05 am

If you want to view this photo properly right click on it and select "open image in new tab". It should show properly then.

Cute pup but difficult to tell about her weight from a sitting down pic. All I can say from the pic is she is not thin and may be a tab heavy. Go to this link as it may help you assess your dogs current weight and condition. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feed ... al-weight/

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 am

Dakotazeb wrote:If you want to view this photo properly right click on it and select "open image in new tab". It should show properly then.

Cute pup but difficult to tell about her weight from a sitting down pic. All I can say from the pic is she is not thin and may be a tab heavy. Go to this link as it may help you assess your dogs current weight and condition. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feed ... al-weight/

Maybe a better pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 am

She looks to be of about ideal weight in that last photo. I'd still try cutting back a little on her food, monitor her weight and see if it produces less poop!

I guess someone should have asked how much is she pooping?

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:32 am

Dakotazeb wrote:She looks to be of about ideal weight in that last photo. I'd still try cutting back a little on her food, monitor her weight and see if it produces less poop!

I guess someone should have asked how much is she pooping?
I feed her morning and evening and she poops about 5-6 good size piles a day.

Now what is a good size pile???? Who knows!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:03 am

I personally don't like real high protein for a puppy. I like slow growth lower weight for proper bone development...........Cj

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:29 am

IMO she is over fed. If she is pooping 6 times each day, that would lead me to cut her feed in half. It is obvious that her body is passing straight through the majority of what you are feeding her. As you feed her less, she should poop less.

SCT

Post by SCT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 am

cjhills wrote:I personally don't like real high protein for a puppy. I like slow growth lower weight for proper bone development...........Cj
I agree. I only feed the weaning and newly weaned puppies the high protein and fat food. I change to lower protein at 10-12 weeks old to slow down the bone growth. Then start it back up when they reach 8-10 months old and are running and chasing wild birds.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 am

There was a recent study that showed bird dogs working the field ran hotter body temperatures, used more water and had to breath harder to stay cool when fed high protein diets. The dogs fed a lower, more standard protein diet ran cooler and more efficiently. I will try to find the article.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:25 am

isonychia wrote:There was a recent study that showed bird dogs working the field ran hotter body temperatures, used more water and had to breath harder to stay cool when fed high protein diets. The dogs fed a lower, more standard protein diet ran cooler and more efficiently. I will try to find the article.
There was a study from Cornell University that showed higher fat diet improved endurance, recovery, and nose in working dogs.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/03 ... s-sniffers

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:53 am

Urban_Redneck wrote:
isonychia wrote:There was a recent study that showed bird dogs working the field ran hotter body temperatures, used more water and had to breath harder to stay cool when fed high protein diets. The dogs fed a lower, more standard protein diet ran cooler and more efficiently. I will try to find the article.
There was a study from Cornell University that showed higher fat diet improved endurance, recovery, and nose in working dogs.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/03 ... s-sniffers
Thanks that is it, not only cutting protein but also adding more fat!

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:42 am

Adding fat is fine to a point and as long as you decrease food intake. Balance is best!

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:05 am

Last two sentences of that article:

A sled dog or greyhound may need more protein to keep going. But detection dogs tend to exercise in shorter bursts and need to recover quickly and smell well. For that, less protein and more fat could help."

So, does anyone know how long/fast/hard detection dogs work in a session? My young dog eats high protein, high fat, and tends to run hot. But he's big and muscular also. I'd like to find a good balance for him.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm

shags wrote:Last two sentences of that article:

A sled dog or greyhound may need more protein to keep going. But detection dogs tend to exercise in shorter bursts and need to recover quickly and smell well. For that, less protein and more fat could help."

So, does anyone know how long/fast/hard detection dogs work in a session? My young dog eats high protein, high fat, and tends to run hot. But he's big and muscular also. I'd like to find a good balance for him.
Yes when is the last time a detection dog covered 24 miles at 12 mph in 4 hrs. That was my Brittanys track on opening day of quail.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am

24 miles at 12 mph would be two hours:-)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Our hunting dogs do not work like the sled dogs because they stop and take breaks. I think practically everybody thinks their dog works harder than it does. I am not being critical but there is a huge difference between constant work and running and stopping like our dogs do.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:26 pm

Yes , that's what my sled dog friend up here in Canada tells me too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:12 am

I just read through again and didn't see it mentioned but...

The recommendations for amount of food by weight of dog on the back of the food bag are coming from a company that wants to sell you more food :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am

isonychia wrote:I just read through again and didn't see it mentioned but...

The recommendations for amount of food by weight of dog on the back of the food bag are coming from a company that wants to sell you more food :roll:
You are right and the way they go about that is to provide the best info they can so you are happy with the food. If the err it is most likely to be on the short side for our sporting breeds.

Ezzy

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

isonychia wrote:I just read through again and didn't see it mentioned but...

I guess I know what your point is.
But, I have never had a dog that didn't require more food than the direction on the bag recommended and my dogs are never overweight...................................Cj

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

I feed mine everything that is non toxic to a dog .
The amount is dependant on whether the dog is a big dog or a small dog.
It's not a scientific approach ,so I can't post any facts and figures.
I figure ,over 40 years though ,that I haven't had an underweight dog or an overweight dog . I must have been real lucky.
I don't give any extra or high protein when a dog is working , the reserves of what was put in the previous months will be enough.
So with that in mind, I work mine throughout the year . Some don't.
Size of Poop?. well you only get out what you put in as they say. If the dog is pooping more than what is put in then perhaps not much has been absorbed ,and the rest is ''waste'' ?
I advocate 'Raw' feeding ,but that's just me ! ..Because of all the benefits of it .