Transport birds for training

Nmhuntr

Transport birds for training

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 pm

I am considering picking up 3-4 quail to train my dog on. For those of you who do this what do put them in when you pick them up? Did you make a small cage? If so how small should the wire on the floor be or should it be solid?

Thanks for any pics and advice.

Greg

bustingcover

Re: Transport birds for training

Post by bustingcover » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:53 pm

anything from a used cardboard box with some holes in it to my pigeon carriers. small animal crates work too.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Are you buying from a state licensed propagator? My bird guy has them ready to go in a cardboard transport box.
Otherwise use a box, wire cage ( easy to make of hardware cloth) or small crate. Definitely have a bottom on it, those birds are messy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:26 pm

I use a dog crate. Make sure it is secure . Nothing like driving down the highway with birds flying around inside your car. :roll: Yes, it happened to me.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

I have a puppy sized crate I use. It is great for a half dozen quail. it has a handle which makes it easy to transport and a solid floor to contain most of the mess.

I cut the center section out of the metal door and put two overlapping strips of bicycle innertube over the hole in the door. I stretched them fairly tight and sewed them in place with heavy braided nylon(I think) fishing line. Then I crazyglued the stitching and the seams. I can put or take the birds, one at a time with the others staying put. Been using it for over ten years.

RayG

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 pm

Sharon wrote:I use a dog crate. Make sure it is secure . Nothing like driving down the highway with birds flying around inside your car. :roll: Yes, it happened to me.

I have a small crate so that will be an easy try for the first run.

Thanks

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:47 am

I would suggest a box for transporting pigeons. Reason being when you reach reach in to grab a bird with to big an opening, you leave lots of room for birds to get by you. Next, in a box for pigeons, you reach through a much smaller opening and down from the top, much easier. For taking birds out to work with, pigeons, on my 4 wheeler, I carry them in a milk box with a wood top and a small door on the top. Close the top door with a small wood latch, nothing special, just works! Draw back to the milk box is to much light in it. Darker inside seem's to settle down birds some.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!