What does your Hunting/Dog vehicle set up look like?

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:48 am

I am still in the process of setting my truck up for the dogs and for hunting. I am looking for some ideas of what works best for everyone out there. Currently I have a vari kennel with a Mud River cover strapped in the bed of my truck. The rest of my hunting get goes in the backseat. Next season I will have 2 dogs and my set up will need to change. Post some pictures of what your truck/car/SUV hunting dog set up looks like.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: What does your Hunting/Dog vehicle set up look like?

Post by polmaise » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Depends on how many dogs you have and if the priority is for them or other passengers . Personally the vast majority of my truck space is for the dogs :D
dogs in car.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Ford Expedition plus Truckvault. Truckvault (or similar) dramatically expands space available for dogs and people. Guns, ammo, collars,first aid stuff, anything is well-organized, readily available, locked and out of sight. Customized versions available for every model SUV or truck. Note two large crates for dogs in back of second seat. Recommended.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:03 pm

[Just a dog box with a cover in the back of the pickup. Everything else in the cab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:23 am

Keep the pictures coming! Here are a couple pictures of my current set up.
BirdDogForum.jpg
BirdDog2.jpg

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 am

I now have 3 field bred Golden Retrievers....this is a limited picture of a used 4 hole trailer I bought a few years ago. It has taken the work out of going with our dogs....

She is now a Senior Hunter SH and has her Working Dog Excellent WCX title.....a good hunter she is...!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Now, that big blue box is in the back seat and a second kennel is there. Used this set up for about 30 years now.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Image

Now, that big blue box is in the back seat and a second kennel is there. Used this set up for about 30 years now.
Nice set up, simple but functional. I would do the same thing but I can't stand to get a canopy. I use my truck for hauling large things too much to be limited by the canopy. I have been considering one of these however. https://www.softopper.com/

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm

This is what I use which keeps the truck cab (crew cab) reasonably clean and available for hunters and equipment.
Sorry I don't have a better pic of the truck with all 4 dogs. We typically take 4 dogs with us in the truck box shown.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm

gunguy wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:Image

Nice set up, simple but functional. I would do the same thing but I can't stand to get a canopy. I use my truck for hauling large things too much to be limited by the canopy. I have been considering one of these however. https://www.softopper.com/
Unique solution. I'd always be worrying about someone slashing it and stealing my junk out of it. They'd have to be desperate to steal my junk.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:21 pm

gonehuntin' wrote: Unique solution. I'd always be worrying about someone slashing it and stealing my junk out of it. They'd have to be desperate to steal my junk.
That is also a concern for me, but I don't often roll around with much in my truck anyway. The main purpose would be to give the dogs a little more protection and to keep my junk out of the rain. My biggest hurdle is anything I do either has to be very secure or easy to unload after a day in the field. Where I work I have to park on the street in a not so great part of town so I don't like to leave anything in my truck that isn't bolted down.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am

Depend's. Sometime's a 1996 Jeep but just sold it. Other time's a 1990 full size Bronco and sometime's a 1983 Ford super 250! :D

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:26 pm

2015-11-27 19.34.25.jpg
For the dog box i took a Dee Zee crossover toolbox/dogbox and added a piece between the toolbox and the dogbox to give a little more room. Took off the stock doors and added wing works doors so i could close in for cold weather (also better locks than stock doors ). Put on some LED light to help with getting back late to camp. in the bed of the truck on one side i have a PVC water container, on the other is a high lift jack and shovel. The tool box is loaded with first aid, tools, compressor, tire patch kit etc... This all works with my fifth wheel so i can tow the fifth wheel and haul the dogs.
2015-11-27 19.34.25.jpg
Last edited by P&PGunsmith on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm

P&PGunsmith wrote:
2015-11-27 19.34.25.jpg
For the dog box i took a Dee Zee crossover toolbox/dogbox and added a piece between the toolbox and the dogbox to give a little more room. Took off the stock doors and added wing works doors so i could close in for cold weather (also better locks than stock doors ). Put on some LED light to help with getting back late to camp. in the bed of the truck on one side i have a PVC water container, on the other is a high lift jack and shovel. The tool box is loaded with first aid, tools, compressor, tire patch kit etc... This all works with my fifth wheel so i can tow the fifth wheel and haul the dogs.
That sounds like an awesome set up, the attachment doesn't seem to be working.

P&PGunsmith

Post by P&PGunsmith » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 am

gunguy wrote:
P&PGunsmith wrote:
2015-11-27 19.34.25.jpg
That sounds like an awesome set up, the attachment doesn't seem to be working.
i edited it and now have both large and small pictures.

Bedight

Post by Bedight » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Ford E350 4X4 Van, setup to sleep two hunters, two to four Ruff Tough Kennels stacked facing rear doors. Hitch mounted platform with dog ramp. Small Generator and mini split heat pump on platform to cool dogs when left in van in hot weather. Temperature and humidity alarm system. Very small vented catalytic heater.

Allows me to stay at motels that don't allow dogs in rooms, or sleep in van.

Nearly perfect except for gas consumption, 14 MPG.

snakecreekkennels

Post by snakecreekkennels » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:42 pm

1996 Chevy Tahoe. I love this vehicle. Big and full of space. I have two dog crates in the back and usually hunt three dogs. I like the fact that the dogs are inside the cab so they can get air conditioning or heat depending on the time of the season. I put some carpeting down over the tailgate so blood and mud doesn't create a problem.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:23 am

P&PGunsmith wrote:
2015-11-27 19.34.25.jpg
2015-11-27 19.34.25.jpg
I like what you did with that box a lot. I have been looking at those type of boxes but they all seem like they are for smaller dogs.