Bath Time

ShearMadness

Bath Time

Post by ShearMadness » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Does your dog like baths??
My pup just stands there. Doesnt fight it but i know he is not happy.

Can i bath him every week ?

isonychia

Re: Bath Time

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm

I give my dog a bath when he rolls in dead animals by spraying him off outside. I give him a bath if he has fleas or lice. Every week? Your dog might start resenting you, they don't like to lose their scent like that, they aren't even crazy about the fact that we bathe I am pretty sure.

MGIII

Bath Time

Post by MGIII » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm

I only give mine a bath when they roll in dead animals and once at the end of the hunting season. They don’t like it but know that they need to stand there and take it.

What is it about dead animals that the dogs want to smell like them? Bugs me.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I read that they are trying to camouflage their own odor.

Mine hate baths but live inside so.....:)
I have a hot/cold water faucet outside, so it's a perfect setup for all -year baths.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:49 am

Weekly bathing is probably not a good idea as it would tend to dry out your dogs skin too much. I think once a month would be better.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:00 pm

ShearMadness wrote:Does your dog like baths??
My pup just stands there. Doesnt fight it but i know he is not happy.

Can i bath him every week ?
With soap/shampoo? Probably Not As DakotaZeb mentioned, it can dry them out.

I probably put my dog in the bathtub once a week, but shampoo maybe once a month. Whether or not he enjoys it isn't relevant to me and I haven't given it much consideration, but if I had to guess he doesn't. But, we've done it since he was little and he doesn't fight us. Most of the time I'm just rinsing dirt or mud off his belly. We allow them on the furniture so don't want them dirty.

Some guys talk about the importance of the natural oils and how you should never bathe them, blahblahblahblah, maybe they've stumbled on a higher class of duck slough that doesn't stink or a higher class of dog that doesn't roll on random carcasses in the woods. Or, maybe they like the au natural thing in their life, don't shave their beards, don't bathe to preserve their natural oils, prefer their wives with unshaven legs...One of the great mysteries to me.

One last thought about smell...Much of "dog smell" comes from the ears. Since the family dog of my childhood had some awful, painful disgusting hotspots from wet ears, I'm a bit paranoid about keeping them dry and clean. Clean and dry ears often lead to a better smelling animal.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 am

My Golden's, I have three now, started to love bath time after I purchased a Booster Bath. They are the perfect solution for bathing and grooming dogs. They have 3 sizes and the XL runs just under $200. The dogs behave well in these and it saves the owners back! :mrgreen: Do a search for Booster Bath and you will see what it is....

Booster Bath Elevated Dog Bathing and Grooming Center

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 am

Dakotazeb wrote:Weekly bathing is probably not a good idea as it would tend to dry out your dogs skin too much. I think once a month would be better.
This is correct, and actually even once a month is likely too much. What breed does the OP have and what is the regular grooming procedure and frequency? Proper regular grooming almost eliminates the need for baths except in unusual circumstances. My house and office dogs get baths twice a year, but coat is groomed (dead hair pulled out, ears, nails) fairly often.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm

what ShearM said

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 pm

My dog hates it. He knows not to fight so he just stands there shaking and alternating which paw he'll hold out of that horrible water :roll:

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Dakotazeb wrote:Weekly bathing is probably not a good idea as it would tend to dry out your dogs skin too much. I think once a month would be better.
This is correct, and actually even once a month is likely too much. What breed does the OP have and what is the regular grooming procedure and frequency? Proper regular grooming almost eliminates the need for baths except in unusual circumstances. My house and office dogs get baths twice a year, but coat is groomed (dead hair pulled out, ears, nails) fairly often.
What kind of dog do you have? Does it get into much?

I ask because I currently have a foster GSP, that is much easier to clean than my GWP. GWP isn't hard, but if he's going to be in the house I need to get the mud off. When I'm hunting, if there's a clean clear lake/river I'm in good shape, but some spots don't lend themselves to getting out without being really muddy. Also, my backyard is simply really muddy right now and will be for a couple more months. If he lays down after a rain I either have to hose him off or rinse him in the tub.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm

JONOV wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
What kind of dog do you have? Does it get into much?

I ask because I currently have a foster GSP, that is much easier to clean than my GWP. GWP isn't hard, but if he's going to be in the house I need to get the mud off. When I'm hunting, if there's a clean clear lake/river I'm in good shape, but some spots don't lend themselves to getting out without being really muddy. Also, my backyard is simply really muddy right now and will be for a couple more months. If he lays down after a rain I either have to hose him off or rinse him in the tub.
Two GWPs. As mentioned, I keep both pretty well-groomed (coats pulled, not clipped), and a proper coat sheds most junk/dirt as fast as it dries. Post-hunting, it dries,falls off with a shake and I use a stripping knife for about a minute to get any residue. I usually need to anyway if there are burrs. I keep a towel in the garage (between backyard and house) to clean/dry feet if muddy (wife does not like muddy footprints). Dogs live in house and go with me to the office every day, so they don't spend a lot of time in backyard. I will say they don't get on furniture; they have their own beds on the floor.

When I got my first wirehair (after two Gordon Setters), I was surprised at how fast they dried and how the coat resisted dirt if I was willing to do correct grooming. Gordons are a little weak in those areas. :wink:

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:48 pm

Thank you. I have a Brittany. He is a couch dog and he needs to be cleaned off frequently. I will just forgo the shampoo and rinse him off.