Stormy almost ran by this one!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Stormy almost ran by this one!

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am

Longer this little obnoxious reprobate is around, the more I like him! Out working some bird's yesterday and found him buried in like this. Almost missed it! Thinking maybe he'd just stopped to cleanse himself and found the bird by accident! :roll: But this guy doesn't miss birds! The bird is that spot under the sage bush.

Oh alright, one more of my boy. God gave him that tail trying to distract attention to how perfect the rest of him is! :mrgreen:

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Stormy almost ran by this one!

Post by shags » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am

That would make my day :)

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm

Good dog on that bird! That dog 'does' hunt!

What breed is that pup? I have a small red Golden Retriever that looks like a twin.....see below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NC Quailhunter

Post by NC Quailhunter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:33 pm

I really enjoy seeing the pics of Stormy doing his thing. Soon a Red Setter is going to reside here.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Timewise65 wrote:Good dog on that bird! That dog 'does' hunt!

What breed is that pup? I have a small red Golden Retriever that looks like a twin.....see below
Stormy is a Red Setter. Amer Fld version of the Irish Setter. Lot smaller, less hair and lot of speed and style.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:11 am

DonF very nice. Nice pic of your pup working! My only comment is it just a shame Setter and Pointer breeders can not put a little more neck on the dogs If they did I'm sure folks could hang another collar on as well! :D :D
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:47 am

There's FIRE in that dog's finds! Gotta love that!

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:11 am

DonF wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:Good dog on that bird! That dog 'does' hunt!

Stormy is a Red Setter. Amer Fld version of the Irish Setter. Lot smaller, less hair and lot of speed and style.
Real pretty dog! Have you run her in any trials or hunt tests?

It is interesting that upland breeders are also breeding 'field lines' that are smaller and shorter haired. We have found that Golden breeders also are moving that way on dogs being bred for 'field'. Our girl has tons of 'drive' and 'style'! In training we had to work real hard on getting he to focus on marks so that she did not 'blow by' a mark. Once they learn to use their nose when running at 90mph, they learn how to put on the brakes and hunt a scent......

Thanks for sharing.....

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 am

Can't get on a horse anymore.Been pretty stove up six or seven years and couldn't walk a lot either. Two years since my knee replacement and getting around pretty good so thinking about getting into NSTRA again.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:26 am

When my oldest Viszla used to do that I called it a pretzel point. Sometimes mid bound through grass she would catch scent and land like that...always loved it!
Doyle

JJWISE

Post by JJWISE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Our Boykin will do that occasionally. If he can smell a bird from a little ways off he’ll run right in and flush it, but if he sees it first or catches it’s scent on a breeze as he’s running by he’ll stop, stare and go into a quick point in whatever position he’s in, as if it just surprised and confused him lol. Never trained him for flushing or pointing, just as a retriever, but he has a lot of natural birdiness.