You can't blame a bird dog

Sharon
GDF Junkie

You can't blame a bird dog

Post by Sharon » Thu May 31, 2018 5:05 pm

My setter and I often sit on the porch together enjoying a coffee. Yesterday a blue winged teal + 15 chicks walked by the porch . The setter was gone! The duck flew low down the highway with the setter chasing. Fortunately the cars stopped and and a pedestrian grabbed the dog. Could have easily had a dead dog to pick up.

(Mom returned and after an hour and a half we were able to net Mom and the 15 chicks and take them to a nearby pond. )

NEhomer

Re: You can't blame a bird dog

Post by NEhomer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Close call but setters gotta setter!

So glad it worked out~

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Sharon, surely you meant the JRT did that, not your setter :)

We all know the setter would have staunchly pointed and stayed put for a stop to flush until released as Mom Duck flew off :D

(so glad to know that the whole escapade ended well, whichever dog was naughty).

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Winston Churchill (who knew) said that "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Right behind that, though, you'd have to rank thinking your dog may be a goner and then finding he isn't.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:23 pm

shags wrote:Sharon, surely you meant the JRT did that, not your setter :)

We all know the setter would have staunchly pointed and stayed put for a stop to flush until released as Mom Duck flew off :D

(so glad to know that the whole escapade ended well, whichever dog was naughty).
LOL No not the JRT. I'd never let the JRT sit out with me off leash. That setter probably never saw a duck before so said, "What the heck is that??!"

Learned my lesson though. She sat out with me today, leashed to her chair. :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 am

Reminds me of a jolt my old Tiah did me years ago. Skunk was walking out the drive way and Tiah spotted it. Took off and the skunk took off best it could. No match for Tiah, she was really fast! About the time she caught up, the skunk stopped and lifted it's tail. Tieh landed next to the think spun around and left all in one motion. She headed straight for the house and got behing the couch. Had a terrible time for a few days!