Dog Training Books

strick9995

Dog Training Books

Post by strick9995 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:10 am

What books out there that you would suggest to someone who is trying to train his first bird dog?

Pointing and retrieving are my goals for this pup.

birddogger2

Re: Dog Training Books

Post by birddogger2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:59 pm

For pointing dog training the two I recommend that new folks read are:

Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long and

Training with Mo, by Martha Greenlee

Paul Long's book is dated but it gives a logical training progression and emphasizes yardwork basics as the foundation for everything that comes after. It also tells you along the way, what not to do. THEN, in one of the last chapters, it tells you how to fix the problem you created by doing wheat he told you NOT to do. I love that about the book...it was written for folks like me.

Mo Lindley is a trainer who follows the West methodology of training. It is a very good way.

Both books are short, to the point, written in straightforward, clear prose and easily understandable.

As far as the retrieving piece of it...I will leave that to others who are more experienced. My dogs retrieve, but I don't work on it with them.

I will give you one piece of advice...

Plan your work before you go out to the dog. Know what you want to do, how you are going to do it, What you need to see to know you are done and it is time to quit. In dog training...timing is key. The better your timing is, the quicker and easier the dog will learn. If you prepare for the lesson ahead of time, you will be in a much better position to train effectively. You will have the tools and training aids you need at hand and you will go into the session with confidence and move ahead smoothly. The dog will sense your confidence just as easily as it would sense your uncertainty and unease and reacta ccordingly. if you are confident, you will engender trust and cooperation in the dog. If you are uncertain and hesitant, you will engender unease and hesitation in the dog as well.

Plan your work and then go out and work your plan.

Good luck to both you and your youngster. Have fun...both of you.

RayG

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:31 pm

birddogger2 wrote: I will give you one piece of advice...

Plan your work before you go out to the dog. Know what you want to do, how you are going to do it, What you need to see to know you are done and it is time to quit. In dog training...timing is key. The better your timing is, the quicker and easier the dog will learn. If you prepare for the lesson ahead of time, you will be in a much better position to train effectively. You will have the tools and training aids you need at hand and you will go into the session with confidence and move ahead smoothly. The dog will sense your confidence just as easily as it would sense your uncertainty and unease and reacta ccordingly. if you are confident, you will engender trust and cooperation in the dog. If you are uncertain and hesitant, you will engender unease and hesitation in the dog as well.

Plan your work and then go out and work your plan.

Good luck to both you and your youngster. Have fun...both of you.

RayG
That is excellent advice.

Joan Bailey's book is good for how to go about first year exposure and NA development. Bob Farris has a book out that is good. DVDs are the better sources of info. Perfection Kennel's series are good for Upland Subjects, Gun/Bird/Ecollar introductions. Bill Hillman and Evan Graham DVDs for advanced retrieving subjects. George Hickox Great Beginnings DVD has some good information. Leerburg has a ton of good information on using PR methods relative to OB and retrieving.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 pm

See Amazon reviews of Pointing Dogs Made Easy: How to Train, Nurture, and Appreciate Your Bird by Steven Mulak.

Not a step-by-step technical book, but one you should have. Read and re-read.