Pigeon Coop Aviary

ddoyle

Pigeon Coop Aviary

Post by ddoyle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Folks I just built a little coop. I put aviaries off both sides and because I was concerned about predators I use some old pet cages. One is black and the other one just steel....for some reason the pigeons hate the steel cage. Literally to the point where I put them out there and then come right back in.
Thought it might be that the bars would widely spaced and they felt vulnerable. So I added hardware cloth but still nothing!
Any suggestions?
Doyle

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Pigeon Coop Aviary

Post by DonF » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:30 am

Steel? hat do you have? Steel bars? I've got a small one outside a couple nest's mage from wood and 1" chicken wire, birds do go in it from time to time. But the one that really get's used a lot is the big one out back. About 16' x 20'x 6' on the edges and about 7' in the center. Trap back into the loft so birds usually train themselves. If there's any out there when I feed, I close the bob on them, they always figure out how to get back in. I keep thinking I'm gonna build one of these but haven't done it yet. Settling cage with the re-entry on top, no bob's. It's supposed to be pretty common near France somewhere. I really like the idea. Birds drop into the loft but with their wings spread getting up there can't get out. Top of the settling cage is the landing board. Haven't been able to find other photo's of my loft with the large avery!

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Don, just wanted to chime in to tell you how much I admire your coop. I like the design and it appears to be constructed well. Just the little bit that I can see in the photo has given me some ideas.

Thank you for posting.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:10 pm

More like an animal trap type metal.
Doyle

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm

I also just built one.... no pigeons in it yet b/c the pigeon trap I bought ($80, tried to get the best one I could) seems to have a revolving door....I got one in the trap & left it over night so it's friends would go in and by the next morning they had all learned to come and go as they pleased).... not the point of this though....
I built my loft. The pic attached isn't all the way finished, but get's the main idea across. I added a set of bobs above the aviary roof. I added a couple more perches and a place to set the food and water inside the loft.
I build the aviary portion tall...it is fenced from the ground to the top with perches all the way up. Is it bad to have a tall aviary? It seems like all I see are very shallow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:15 am

Not bad for the birds but just makes it harder for you to catch or control them.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Not bad for the birds but just makes it harder for you to catch or control them.
ahhh..... I hadn't thought that through. Good point.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:40 am

DonF wrote:Steel? hat do you have? Steel bars? I've got a small one outside a couple nest's mage from wood and 1" chicken wire, birds do go in it from time to time. But the one that really get's used a lot is the big one out back. About 16' x 20'x 6' on the edges and about 7' in the center. Trap back into the loft so birds usually train themselves. If there's any out there when I feed, I close the bob on them, they always figure out how to get back in. I keep thinking I'm gonna build one of these but haven't done it yet. Settling cage with the re-entry on top, no bob's. It's supposed to be pretty common near France somewhere. I really like the idea. Birds drop into the loft but with their wings spread getting up there can't get out. Top of the settling cage is the landing board. Haven't been able to find other photo's of my loft with the large avery!

Looks similar to my aviary/trap on my racing loft except bobs up top instead of open Sputnik style like yours. My stock birds just have a big wire aviary framed with 2x2s since they don't get to fly outside.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr