New rifle

porochi

New rifle

Post by porochi » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 pm

I hunt upland game and deer. Currently looking for a new rifle for upcoming deer season. I want a bolt action, bull barrel 30.06. All I can seem to find is a .308 bull barrel. But 30.06 is my caliber, been using it since a kid and I'm sticking to it. And I have my reasons for wanting a bull barrel, not a typical choice for a hunting rifle I know. Any suggestions on who makes a quality 30.06 with bull barrel?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: New rifle

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 am

Don't think I ever even heard of one. You might get a used rifle and get a new bull barrel for it.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:56 am

The reason you can only find a bull barrel in .308 Win. is that the 308 is a more accurate round and chambered in a lot of bench rifles. I don't know of any manufactures making a 30-06 with a bull barrel. If you do find one it's going to probably be in a bench style gun and quite expensive. Having a bull barrel installed on an existing action might be your best and cheapest bet.

Just curious, what is your reason for wanting a bull barrel on a hunting rifle? It can't be an accuracy issue as most of the new hunting rifles are pretty darn accurate right out of the box or can be made so with a little tweaking.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

porochi

Post by porochi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:11 pm

I have MS which causes a slight hand tremor. A bull barrel helps compensate for that. I hunt from box stands, the extra weight isn't a problem so I want a heavy rifle that I can hold steady on target. On our property I can have shots out to 200-300 yards, or more, and I've made all of those shots with a 30.06. I've shot 30.06 all my life and just prefer not to change calibers. I trust what I can do with it. I might go to a good gunsmith and get a custom barrel, cause you're right, no one seems to make a 30.06 bull barrel.

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am

Cheaper than Dirt, has one for sale right now.

H2O dawg

Post by H2O dawg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:38 am

I second going to a Smith and have him rebarrel to your likings u have many contours to choose from varmint ,heavy varmint , straight and etc .

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:15 am

porochi wrote:I have MS which causes a slight hand tremor. A bull barrel helps compensate for that. I hunt from box stands, the extra weight isn't a problem so I want a heavy rifle that I can hold steady on target. On our property I can have shots out to 200-300 yards, or more, and I've made all of those shots with a 30.06. I've shot 30.06 all my life and just prefer not to change calibers. I trust what I can do with it. I might go to a good gunsmith and get a custom barrel, cause you're right, no one seems to make a 30.06 bull barrel.
Before you get a bull barrel let me suggest something else, a military type sling. Used right it should tke the tremble out of your hand. Pick up a rifle and run your arm between the sling and the rifle. Next take a wrap around the sling with that hand and put the hand on the stock just behind the sling swivel. If the sling is adjusted properly the sling can be made very tight by simply moving your arm a bit in it. Might take the tremble right out of your hand.

I suspect a bull barres won't take it out but rather make the rifle heavier to carry. Problem is it doesn't join your hand to the stock tightly, the sling will. Borrow a rifle with a sling and try it first. BTW, I don't care fore those newer slings with the wide part for on your shoulder. Not sure I know how to wrap my hand in it and don't know that it could be properly adjusted. Military or close copy seem's to me the way to go! Good slings are far more useful as shooting aid's than as a method to carry a rifle!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 am

In my teens and 20s I was a squirrel assassin using a single shot, iron sights JC Higgins bolt action .22 with a sling on it. I used the sling as DonF describes and many squirrels fell from the treetops. Every rifle and shotgun I own have slings on them. The rifles for carrying, climbing and shooting, the shotguns for carrying and safe handling in many situations e.g. taking birds for dogs, watering dogs, crossing steep ditches ...

You might research the various semi-custom gun makers using stiff but light carbon barrels. Christensen Arms is one worth looking at.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:02 am

About your only option is the Remington 700 Long Range Hunter. Remember if you go the rebarreling route, you'll need the stock altered also (or a new one). Or get nearly the same ballistics with a .308 and your choices are numerous.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/reming ... tion-rifle

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:33 pm

porochi wrote:I have MS which causes a slight hand tremor. A bull barrel helps compensate for that. I hunt from box stands, the extra weight isn't a problem so I want a heavy rifle that I can hold steady on target. On our property I can have shots out to 200-300 yards, or more, and I've made all of those shots with a 30.06. I've shot 30.06 all my life and just prefer not to change calibers. I trust what I can do with it. I might go to a good gunsmith and get a custom barrel, cause you're right, no one seems to make a 30.06 bull barrel.
I hope I can say something and it’s taken ok. I myself had some issues recently. To be honest I had a large brain tumor. After ten plus hours of surgery to remove only 1/2 my dominant eye had lost the optic nerve, I had to learn to walk, talk and eat again, my balance was off, etc. Point is we overcome/we adapt.We also need to know there are sometimes limitations. We just gotta work w them. If 300 yards is too far and you’re not starving to death perhaps tomo he’ll come to 150?
A friend of mine has MS. I help him allthe time so I understand your issues. I don’t know where your blind is or how it’s set but a shooting cradle of some sort may work as well.
Can I suggest something? A .308 and .30-06 have ballistics relatively similar. Given our limitations we need to adjust. When I was recovering and still pretty rough an old timer told me as a child an old man told him,, “Life is a series of adjustments”. Seems fairly accurate. A simple move from 30-06 to .308 if the .308 suits you better and is more readily accessible may be worth considering? If you’re afraid the .308 can’t make the shots you’re wrong. It can/it will. Food for thought buddy. God bless ya