Getting a new pup

Long2x

Getting a new pup

Post by Long2x » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Hey!! I am new to this site stumbled across it while trying to find a new pup as I have a 13 year old dog that is closing in on retirement so to speak. I am looking for a great pointer breeder for a foot hunter. I have been looking into Harris kennels if anyone has any input on that I would appreciate it. Buying a new addition to the family is a very hard thing to do so I am asking for yaws help to guide me to a great breeder in what I am looking for. Thanks can't wait to get info

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Getting a new pup

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)
You posted in the right place - New members- but I thought you might get more help here based on your question. Trust that is all right with you.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Have you contacted or spoke to Harris Kennels ..If so what was their response/advice ? If Not ..Why Not ?

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Yes that is great thank you Sharon!!! Yes I talked to Jim sounds like a great guy and thinks very high of his dogs. Both things I admire. I just haven't hunted with any dogs from him and was hoping for previous customers to give some insight or if there someone else to also check on for foot hunting pointers. Quail

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 pm

long -

Polmaise is absolutely right. You most definitely should contact the breeder.

I took the liberty of looking at the pups they have available currently. That is VERY nice breeding. Erin's Red Rum is a very nice young dog. I saw a derby dog out of him that was very nice. There is also a helping of Elhew, via Snakefoot, in these pups which should help in the biddability department.

I am somewhat new to the Erin's breeding, but I am starting to like it. I have a youngster out of War Creek and a Braveheart bitch that has all the tools, but he actually wants to be with me and will come back for me...which is awesome. I look for something a little different than you are, but if the dog has the tools, it is up to the trainer to use them the way they need.

It looks like the Harris's have first quality breeding in their females. I wouldn't be afraid of getting a puppy for walking stakes or hunting from them.

But do talk to them. Tell them what you are looking for.

RayG

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks Ray. That's exactly the kinda help and answer I was looking for

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:20 am

Long 2X, I too have a bitch right now - 14 months old out of Red Rum. She did not come from Harris kennels but you could do a LOT worse! I agree with birddogger 2 too. :)
Mine is ready for her first season - steady, handling beautifully and retrieving to hand.
Start your pup young. Don't follow field trial protocol if your looking for a high class foot-handled wild bird hunter.
All the best and welcome! Sounds like you are starting at the top! I'm excited for you!!

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 am

Thanks featherfinder!! A lot of HTA breeding in his kennels. Thoughts on that?

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:29 am

I can't verify this but word has it that HTA pups finish out early.
Hope you are a happy hunter in short order!
At the end of the day, a very high class bird dog is worth the wait....within reason.
I guess you're about to find out! Wish I had your problem. :wink:

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 am

I agree it is worth the wait worth a good drive and worth the money for the right dog. I'm not a dog trader just want to get a pup out of a great line for what I do and have alotta fun years with it. Just hard to find what you are looking for. That's why I was trying to learn from yaw lol

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm

We're talking about a fair amount of run in the dogs being mentioned. I personally think it's better to get a 300 yard dog than getting a 800 yard dog and reel them back in to 300. You and the dog will be much happier.
You might want to check out some of the grouse and cover dog lines.

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:36 am

I'm all ears!! What lines would that be and who could I talk to that would have what I want?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:59 am

greg jacobs wrote:We're talking about a fair amount of run in the dogs being mentioned. I personally think it's better to get a 300 yard dog than getting a 800 yard dog and reel them back in to 300. You and the dog will be much happier.
You might want to check out some of the grouse and cover dog lines.
This is my thinking also. A walking hunter probably don't need a half mile dog, no matter how exciting they are in the big, open country.
The term "High class" is also some what subjective and does not mean a whole lot. Tail at 12 or 10 O'Clock does not make a lot of difference in the real world of bird hunting......Cj

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:26 am

long2X -

The best of dogs will fill up the country and cover the ground...so you don't have to. The best of dogs will dial it down when the cover gets thick and the terrain gets lumpy and dial it up when the terrain flattens out and opens up.

Some folks are uncomfortable with a dog that goes out of their sight. Some are not. It depends.

The difference between and 800 yard dog and a 100 yard dog is often the country it is hunted in, and that is how it should be. The dog that ALWAYS hunts at 100-200 yards, no matter when, no matter where might be what some are looking for, but it is a dog that has limited potential. The dog that dials it up and dials it down, a dictated by the terrain, and/or the desire of its handler/hunter is the dog with greater potential, IMO. Such a dog might take a little more to get them to where you need them to be, but, speaking for myself...it is worth the extra effort.

I have dogs that I can run in front of a horse at a field trial and be competitive. I can take those SAME dogs, put them in a 40-50 acre preserve field and kill a dozen pheasants over points. I ALWAYS hunt my field trial dogs. It makes them better dogs, and I like to kill birds over them. Some are better at the switchover than others, but they all get it eventually.

FWIW, many cover dog pointers trace back to Gunsmoke breeding, which was Horseback open shooting dog breeding. Take those dogs out of the woods and many of them will scorch the ground if you want them to. I know, because I had some of them. They were bird dogs.

The real difference is: Are they running to hunt, or are they running to hear the wind rush through their ears? The best of them run AND hunt for you.

RayG

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 am

long2X
Something you need to be aware of Is that many people on this forum, especially from the east, have not hunted wild birds with there dogs for years and probably never with their current dogs. Hunting in a 40 acre field loaded with pen raised pheasants, where if you shoot a bird you can walk over and pick it up, is vastly different than hunting wild birds in the west where the cover is huge and heavy and you need bird finding ability and a solid retrieve.
I don't know where you are from and you seem to know pointers. I don't know a lot of pointer breeders or bloodlines, but the dogs I have seen that I liked, were the dogs bred by "slistoe" on this Forum. He is in the west and breeds family bird dogs that hunt wild birds and also, I think, trials. My choice would be to search him .......Cj

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Thanks CJ. Great Past experiences is what I'm looking to find.

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks CJ. Great Past experiences is what I'm looking to find.

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Could u take a look at the litters expected on the Harris site and tell me what u think. There is one I'm thinking bout getting the pup out of

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 pm

I'd be happy with Johnny's breeding but may be more dog than you want.

http://harriskennels.com/kennel.php?bre ... ategory=12

Have a look at the Cover Dog forum ( google)
Register and go to the " Trading Post". ( pups for sale)

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:43 am

First, I'm not a pointer guy
Looks like nice dogs with a lot of horsepower,

Long2x

Post by Long2x » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:33 am

Thank y'all so much for the help and advice!! I have sent off a deposit for my new pup

ABhunter

Getting a new pup

Post by ABhunter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 am

I bought a dog from Harris kennels 5 years ago and couldn’t be happier. We live in Alberta and Jim was easy to deal with and our pup arrived happy and healthy. She handles well on partridge and pheasant and runs to fit the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm

i don"t know what area your from but seen some nice litters on gun dog central for sale.Welcome to the forum