Setters first retrieve and North Dakota tips.

northwoodshunter

Setters first retrieve and North Dakota tips.

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:01 pm

I have a 3y/o English Setter that is/was green broke. Today I took him out on some quail of mine to release the rest of them and shoot a few if we could. We ended up shooting 5 total. 4 when we had the dog out. The dog was pointing and holding until I’d flush the bird and he was a bit rusty to wait for release and seemed to go on shot or wait then go before I release him though. But I’ve decided he isn’t going to do trials this year and I’m gonna try next year. So I’ve got time. But today when I shot the second quail we shot, he went to it, and was sniffing it(dead) so my buddy has a lab and said his trainer told him to pick it up and throw it and call her back saying bring it here and fetch and such so I was like might as well try. So I let him put it in his mouth so he realized it wasn’t bad. Then Did it, and he went and grabbed it and brought it back. Then the next two birds we shot he ran right to, the first of the two he took a minute to grab then came right back and dropped it right when I said to. The next one, went out picked it up and came right to me no problem. But the last one he went to and grabbed but set back down. So I figure there may be a chance to have him retrieve some so I’m gonna keeping working with that, and also while keeping him steady to release. I’ll stsrt up on that more after our trip to North Dakota this weekend. Also, when in North Dakota there will be 3 labs, maybe a fourth flusher, and a gsp and my setter. So I’m thinking I’ll try to run next to my cousin who has the gsp or someone that isn’t running a dog, as much as possible. What do you all think I should do for that or not do? Also anything that you think may help him with retrieving a little too.
Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Setters first retrieve and North Dakota tips.

Post by shags » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:58 am

If you want your dog steady until released, you have to enforce that. You got him nack from the trainer steady, breaking was not ok. Because you allowed him to break, he thinks breaking on shot is ok. When you get back from your trip, breaking will suddenly be not ok again. How is that fair to your dog?

I'll tell you now, so you won't be surprised later, that sometime down the road, when you r.e.a.l.l.y want/need that dog to remain steady, he's going to break on you because he'll take a chance on doing what he's been allowed to do in the past. It's just a dog, they don't see things the way we do.

IMO you need to think about what's more important on this trip, killing birds yourself, or working the dog. i just hope if you pick killing birds, that the dog doesn't suffer consequences later.

What if you work the dog and let your partner shoot the birds, then when your dog is being rested, you shoot over the partner's dog?

Regardless of the dog issues, I hope you have fun on your trip. You sound like a responsible and sensible young man.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:30 am

If you really want a dog that is steady to wing, shot, fall and is sent to retrieve you need to reinforce that every time. Many hunters don't want that. Some think the chances of recovering the bird are better if the dog goes on the shot. You also might want the dog to retrieve to hand, It can get pretty wild if the dog drops a live bird in front of you and multiple hunters with loaded guns try to catch it. This don't make a lot of difference in most trials but in a hunting situation it can be huge.
I hunt with my family with multiple dogs of every description and training levels or lack there of. My dogs are steady. I stay to one side. If my dogs go on point in front of somebody else that person flushes and shoots. He or I send the dog. The dog will generally retrieve to me.......Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:50 pm

shags wrote:If you want your dog steady until released, you have to enforce that. You got him nack from the trainer steady, breaking was not ok. Because you allowed him to break, he thinks breaking on shot is ok. When you get back from your trip, breaking will suddenly be not ok again. How is that fair to your dog?

I'll tell you now, so you won't be surprised later, that sometime down the road, when you r.e.a.l.l.y want/need that dog to remain steady, he's going to break on you because he'll take a chance on doing what he's been allowed to do in the past. It's just a dog, they don't see things the way we do.

IMO you need to think about what's more important on this trip, killing birds yourself, or working the dog. i just hope if you pick killing birds, that the dog doesn't suffer consequences later.

What if you work the dog and let your partner shoot the birds, then when your dog is being rested, you shoot over the partner's dog?

Regardless of the dog issues, I hope you have fun on your trip. You sound like a responsible and sensible young man.
Having worked at the jail for many years Shags , people often also redo what they have gotten away with in the past. :D

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Okay, I’ll keep making sure he waits till the release. There was only probably 2-3 times he went and it was somewhere around shot I’m guessing maybe one of them a little earlier. I get what you’re saying about letting him release on him own for the trip then going back. So I think I’ll keep working at steady till release and try to get him to retrieve after that