best waterfowl gun

Timewise65

Re: best waterfowl gun

Post by Timewise65 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 am

[quote="tekoa"]I've shot my Remington Wingmaster (now Called 870) 200 rounds or more every year since 1960 on Waterfowl, upland birds and clays. Still smooth, reliable and well balanced as when it was new. For the price it's got to be the best buy. Does not use 3 1/2 shells, but I've never needed more than 2 3/4". (Newer guns shoot 3") My son just bought a used 870 with Polychoke (Circa 1975) for $350.. Looks and shoots like new........Auction sites have lots of them.

Nice thing about a gun at that price is that you don't feel so bad when you drop it the mud, bang on the boat rail, get duck blood and dog poop on it (my Chessie love to pee on mine).[/quote]

Now that's funny....thanks for sharing 'tekoa'...! My 'Swamp Collies' better never pee on my gun....or I will lite them up like a Christmas Tree....

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Timewise65,

In reality she only did this twice before I 're-explained' it to her. But she always comes up with new ways to test the limits. Last hunt of last season she took off to retrieve a Mallard and came back with the duck and another hunter's duck boat in tow. Took me an hour to find the guy and return his boat. Meanwhile Molly was off retrieving other hunter's ducks. Pretty much out of control.................

JJWISE

Post by JJWISE » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 pm

I like my Mossberg 500. Never jammed and it's easy to find barrels and/or chokes for. Main reason I take it waterfowling though is it's a cheap and rugged gun that I don't have to worry about ruining

James1979

Post by James1979 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Ya. I think the best waterfowl gun is Remington 870. I have one . I have been using it to turkey hunt and a rifle scope manufactured by NCSTAR with 4X fixed power

wingseeker

Post by wingseeker » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:36 pm

the new Beretta a400 Extreme Plus with Hevi X 3 or 3.5" 2's
it does not get any better than this combo

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Remington 870 - It is cheap, predictably realiable and bulletproof in all conditions! You can find the express version for $300. I have seen people drop them in the water, pull them out, rack them a few times and fire without an issue. I have also seen guides on Walpole island flip over canoes with 870s sitting in the snow and ice underneath and they fired without problem minutes later. Needless to say, if you actually take care of it you should have it forever. It is the best selling shotgun of all time for a reason.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:27 am

The benelli owned (montefeltro) had a terrible swing and the sight plane was recessed below the top of the receiver. It felt like a sweet shooter other than that and the fact that I could never get it to fit me even with the shims and using a rib extension. If you get a benelli and find you can't hit anything then don't bother trying to get it to work, just get something else.

I am surprised there hasn't been any love for the V3. Great little gun people have pulled out of muddy bottoms and kept bangin away. my vote goes to the following:

Remington V3 (GAS)
Franchi Affinity (Inertia)
Weatherby SA-08 (Gas)
Weatherby Element (Inertia)

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm

Just goes to show how opinions vary. I have several friends who all swear by their Montfeltros. I have shot a buddy's 20 and found it to be immediately nice in the hands and easy to get on target with. My Ultralight, Legacy 28 and SBE2 have all been immediate natural shooting shotguns for me. The SBE2 did shoot high however and required adjustments with the shims accordingly. Mine all came with raised ribs.

wingseeker

Post by wingseeker » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:25 am

I agree that certain guns just fit people differently. I would also add CONFIDENCE has a lot
to do with how well you can or cannot shoot a shotgun well. I have been really impressed
with the NEW Beretta a400 Extreme Plus and when you add in some Hevi X ammo. The
ducks don't stand a chance