Suggestions on English Pointer breeders

redman25

Suggestions on English Pointer breeders

Post by redman25 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Wanting to get another pup within the next year. Want a setter or pointer this go around. I think I'm pretty clear on the direction I'm going if it's a setter but not really sure where to even start looking as far as pointers.

I don't do trialing. We'll hunt grouse and woodcock 90+% of the time, although I plan to make some trips out west as much as possible in the years to come. Would prefer a relatively closer working dog in cover. Will be an in the home dog. Distance to breeder is not an issue for me, but I would be traveling from WV. Thanks for any suggestions.

Pedro

Re: Suggestions on English Pointer breeders

Post by Pedro » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 am

This one is in Birdoggers sweet spot, but I would start looking at east coast shooting dog and cover dog litters.

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:57 am

Pedro wrote:This one is in Birdoggers sweet spot, but I would start looking at east coast shooting dog and cover dog litters.
Thank you, hopefully they will chime in.

Nascon

Post by Nascon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:08 am

Grouse Ridge Kennels in Oxford, NY. Longtime breeder of many champions. Between me and my son we’ve had four. Excellent dogs in the field and in the house. My current one is four years old tri-color. Look at their website.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:46 am

Pedro wrote:This one is in Birdoggers sweet spot, but I would start looking at east coast shooting dog and cover dog litters.
Redman -

For what you want I agree with Pedro. I would start calling walking shooting dog(US Complete and NBHA) trailers and handlers this spring and see what is planned. I would also contact some cover dog folks to see what they are planning as well. There are a bunch of folks in NC and VA that do walking stakes and a bunch of folks in PA and Northern NJ and New England that do cover dog stuff.

Check on the cover dog board for litters. Most of the time they are setters, but you will find some pointers advertised there also. Contact the cover dog pro handlers, tell them what you are looking for and ask them what is planned.

For the kind of dog I want, I typically will ask the horseback shooting dog pros what is happening when I am in the market for a pup. I find a sire I am interested in and ask who that sire is being bred to and go from there. Lots of times those pups will be spoken for in advance, or, in the case of high end shooting dog or all age dogs, the entire litter is reserved for evaluation by the breeder because they are looking for that special animal. But you don't know until you ask.

RayG

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 am

birddogger2 wrote:
Redman -

For what you want I agree with Pedro. I would start calling walking shooting dog(US Complete and NBHA) trailers and handlers this spring and see what is planned. I would also contact some cover dog folks to see what they are planning as well. There are a bunch of folks in NC and VA that do walking stakes and a bunch of folks in PA and Northern NJ and New England that do cover dog stuff.

Check on the cover dog board for litters. Most of the time they are setters, but you will find some pointers advertised there also. Contact the cover dog pro handlers, tell them what you are looking for and ask them what is planned.

For the kind of dog I want, I typically will ask the horseback shooting dog pros what is happening when I am in the market for a pup. I find a sire I am interested in and ask who that sire is being bred to and go from there. Lots of times those pups will be spoken for in advance, or, in the case of high end shooting dog or all age dogs, the entire litter is reserved for evaluation by the breeder because they are looking for that special animal. But you don't know until you ask.

RayG
Thank you Ray. While I've got you, I just have one other question. Obviously I said I was looking at both setters and pointers in the original post (although I asked directly about pointers). Looking at my criteria, would you lean one way or the other as far as setter/pointer? I know what a loaded question that is but I love to hear the opinions of folks with FAR more experience than me. My experience is solely GSP and some with Brittanys but I was a kid with those...over 30 years ago. Thanks again sir.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Try Wild Apple Kennels for pointers. The owner does coverdog and is in the Northeast. I don't know him ,but I read his posts on other forums, and he writes (or wrote) for a pointing dog publication.

No one can tell you whether pointers or setters will fill your needs better, because it's all about the individual dog. IMO better to look at a bunch of each, and decide which is prettier to your eye. You'll be looking at that dog for 13 years or so.

A little piece of dog-in-the-house wisdom that I can share...setter hair tends to float on the top of upholstery and form little clouds of dustbunnies in the corners of the floor. Pointer hair pokes through uholstery and IME is more difficult to remove, and just sort of lies where it lands on the floor. And you'll likely spend some time combing prickers and burrs out of setter pants, but then again setters are the kind of dog that you don't mind spending some extra minutes with :D

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:38 pm

Setters, but looks like you'd have a head start. I know nothing of these dogs, just saw them advertised.

http://members.boardhost.com/Buy-An-Sel ... 39092.html

redman25

Post by redman25 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 pm

shags wrote:Try Wild Apple Kennels for pointers. The owner does coverdog and is in the Northeast. I don't know him ,but I read his posts on other forums, and he writes (or wrote) for a pointing dog publication.

No one can tell you whether pointers or setters will fill your needs better, because it's all about the individual dog. IMO better to look at a bunch of each, and decide which is prettier to your eye. You'll be looking at that dog for 13 years or so.

A little piece of dog-in-the-house wisdom that I can share...setter hair tends to float on the top of upholstery and form little clouds of dustbunnies in the corners of the floor. Pointer hair pokes through upholstery and IME is more difficult to remove, and just sort of lies where it lands on the floor. And you'll likely spend some time combing prickers and burrs out of setter pants, but then again setters are the kind of dog that you don't mind spending some extra minutes with :D
I have two GSPs right now. One is almost 9, the other almost 7, which is why I'm soon to be in the market as I never want to be without 2 dependable dogs. I know all about that short hair poking into upholstery!

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Redman-

I have had pointers exclusively. Never owned a setter. Seen lots of good ones in both breeds.

But based on what you want to do with the dog, I would say that it matters much less which breed. I would focus more on finding someone who breeds dogs that succeed in doing a lot of what you want a dog to do, which is why I suggested you research walking shooting do and cover dog type dogs.

Setters typically handle colder weather better than pointers, but if the dog is and inside dog, that is kind of irrelevant. When they aew running, the weather does not matter much to them unless it is so cold or so hot that it is dangerous. Pointers do tend to handle hot hunting conditions better than setters, but a good clipper can fix that for a setter too.

If you are used to GSP's and what they bring to the dance, I think pointers would be much the same sort of experience, except that pointers are not big on putting their heads down and working ground scent as opposed to GSP's, and on balance I would say that the "AVERAGE" GSP will be a more willing retriever than the "AVERAGE" pointer, if that is important to you.

RayG

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 am

if it's a english setter you want, check out long gone kennels, you will be impressed,
if you decide on a pointer check pine hill kennels befor you buy a pup at least take the time to look at both on the internet