Whats going on in Oregon Trials and Tests?

oldbeek

Re: Whats going on in Oregon Trials and Tests?

Post by oldbeek » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:05 pm

cjhills wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:49 am
It would be fairly likely to pass. The gun lobbys don't care about hunters and the population is going more toward neutral on hunting. It is relatively easy for anti hunters to get the neutrals on their side. It would seem like it would be hard to pass in a state like Oregon.
We give the anti hunters way to much information to use against us on a forum like this, Be careful of the photos you post and the brags about all the limits you kill. Some people are not impressed. What do you think the nonhunter thinks when he sees a pile of dead birds or a deer that is killed for his rack. KIlling animals for sport is on the way out.
I can go to South Dakota pheasant hunting with a few of my kid and grand kids legally bring home 150 or more pheasants. That is nuts. nobody can eat 150 pheasants. The anti hunters use that. Nobody can eat 150 pheasants, If we expect hunting rights to last we need to clean up our act,
I am not in favor of killing contests where the most critters killed wins. For that matter why are fishing contests even legal, Why can they use our resources to
make money.
Thank you..…..Cj

You have a heck of a big family to bring home 150 birds from SD. Limit is 3 a day for 3 days. I spend 2,000.00 in expense to got to SD and think it is ok to bring home 9 birds. Fishing contests throw the fish back. What is the problem there? Who kills the most critters wins contest? So you are opposed to NSTRA? Field trials are more humane? They just fire a blank cap and the coyotes get to eat the bird or they starve to death. Are you opposed to eating chickens also?? Are you also opposed to eating farm animals? Seems like Sharon thinks the same way with her agreement to your comment.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Timewise65 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:12 am
I think the 'climate' of the people in Oregon do not represent the majority of the folks in this country! Not that this is not of concern to us all, it is...but you have to consider the source, meaning the state of Oregon...
The people of Portland don't even represent most of the people in Oregon. They tried to introduce this kind of bill in CA 5 years ago using the DFG advisory commission. All the trial folks and NRA opposed it in force. A gal from PETA was caught giving a DFG commissioner a blow job in the parking garage before the commission meeting. Commission view of this was, what 2 consenting adults do in private is not their concern.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 pm

If we all don't hang together we will most surely hang alone.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:09 pm

On a positive note: I also don't like the photos of a pile of birds on a tailgate. Myself and 22 others in farm bureau went up against 2 cities that wanted to run their sewer plant in a way that would destroy or closed underground water aquifer. Their way was cheaper. The cities were growing and the waste was piling up. 22 people, attending every meeting and voicing our opposition caused the cities of 500,000 people to build a new state of the art sewer plant that cost 22 million dollars. The plant makes almost drinkable water which is now 10 years later is ALL reused to water parks and green belts. The power of being involved can move mountains. We are not being proactive in protecting our sport. Some don't like to donate to groups that do stay on the front line protecting your sport. I donate the same amount that I spend on my dog, guns and hunting equipment. Call, write and if at all possible go to the hearings in person and object.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm

I think it is important to have these conversations without our own communities while avoiding personal attacks on our own. Obviously, differing opinions are good. They allow us to see multiple perspectives.

I, for one, don’t care for “grip and grin” pictures post-hunt. I take plenty of pictures but usually of just the birds or with the dogs, in an effort to glorify the parts of the hunt I truly appreciate. That said, everyone has the right to a grip n grin. In fact one could argue they are prevelant in all kinds of hobbies.

I think the biggest tool hunters can use to sway the “neutrals” is to explain the regulations and rules along with the biology and structure behind those regulations. I doubt that many non-hunters understand just how little impact hunting has on population decreases and trends. Those pieces are what will keep the majority on our side.

I rarely worry about what offends the anti’s, such as animal rights groups. They’ll find a way to be offended regardless.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 pm

oldbeek wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:05 pm
cjhills wrote:
It would be fairly likely to pass. The gun lobbys don't care about hunters and the population is going more toward neutral on hunting. It is relatively easy for anti hunters to get the neutrals on their side. It would seem like it would be hard to pass in a state like Oregon.
We give the anti hunters way to much information to use against us on a forum like this, Be careful of the photos you post and the brags about all the limits you kill. Some people are not impressed. What do you think the nonhunter thinks when he sees a pile of dead birds or a deer that is killed for his rack. KIlling animals for sport is on the way out.
I can go to South Dakota pheasant hunting with a few of my kid and grand kids legally bring home 150 or more pheasants. That is nuts. nobody can eat 150 pheasants. The anti hunters use that. Nobody can eat 150 pheasants, If we expect hunting rights to last we need to clean up our act,
I am not in favor of killing contests where the most critters killed wins. For that matter why are fishing contests even legal, Why can they use our resources to
make money.
Thank you..…..Cj

You have a heck of a big family to bring home 150 birds from SD. Limit is 3 a day for 3 days. I spend 2,000.00 in expense to got to SD and think it is ok to bring home 9 birds. Fishing contests throw the fish back. What is the problem there? Who kills the most critters wins contest? So you are opposed to NSTRA? Field trials are more humane? They just fire a blank cap and the coyotes get to eat the bird or they starve to death. Are you opposed to eating chickens also?? Are you also opposed to eating farm animals? Seems like Sharon thinks the same way with her agreement to your comment.
OB
I don't know who sells you a 3 day license in SD. All the SD licenses I have bought for the past 25 years were for 10 days. Maybe a game farm license. I do have a heck of a big family, But only 5 need to go to bring back 150 birds. 3 a day for tens days = 30X 5 =150. You can also buy all the licenses you want. So if you hunted 50 days you could bring back 150 by yourself. I did not say it was wrong it just seems kind of silly. I used to do that.
How many big fish survive the day in a livewell and weighins?
NSTRA uses their own birds and it is based on more then just the most kills.
Why would you accuse me of being opposed to NSTRA, eating chicken, eating farm animals, saying shooting birds was inhumane or anything else. I never wrote anything close to that. I don't think it makes a lot of difference to the bird who eats it once it is dead. I am certainly not anti hunting.
I do have a problem with antagonizing the people who don't really care one way or the other because it just makes sense to believe they are more likely to vote anti than for killing animals. I also do not thinking getting in the face of my friends and family who happen to disagree is not the answer. They have the same rights as we do......Cj

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:17 pm

cjhills wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 pm
oldbeek wrote:
cjhills wrote:
make money.
Thank you..…..Cj

OB
I don't know who sells you a 3 day license in SD. All the SD licenses I have bought for the past 25 years were for 10 days. Maybe a game farm license. I do have a heck of a big family, But only 5 need to go to bring back 150 birds. 3 a day for tens days = 30X 5 =150. You can also buy all the licenses you want. So if you hunted 50 days you could bring back 150 by yourself. I did not say it was wrong it just seems kind of silly. I used to do that.
Why would you accuse me of being opposed to NSTRA, eating chicken, eating farm animals, saying shooting birds was inhumane or anything else. I never wrote anything close to that. I don't think it makes a lot of difference to the bird who eats it once it is dead. I am certainly not anti hunting.
I do have a problem with antagonizing the people who don't really care one way or the other because it just makes sense to believe they are more likely to vote anti than for killing animals. I also do not thinking getting in the face of my friends and family who happen to disagree is not the answer. They have the same rights as we do......Cj
Who has called for this on this board?

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:17 am

Chills, my memory must be failing. I recall my last trip to SD, out of state license was just for 3 days. I apologize. As I read this bill, it is any game birds, pen raised or wild. If it is just wild birds, why are we discussing it. NSTRA and AKC trials only use pen raised birds. The law the CA/ DFG was going to propose was to prohibit using dogs to take any game. Not game animals, any game. It was being pushed by PETA. I have never seen a NSTRA trial won by an excellent dog with 3 finds over an average dog finding 4 or 5 birds.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 am

DD.
You. Vociferously and Unequificably" What do these two words mean. To me and most people they would mean loudly and no argument. Or in your face . Not the way to win friends and influence people.

OB. You are right SD has shooting preserve license. Either one day, or 5 days. You are likely Right about NSTRA you have much more experience than I. If that is the case I don't see the reason for judges.….. Cj

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:20 pm

What I actually wrote:
ddoyle wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:56 pm
cjhills wrote:AGAIN IT ISNOT ME YOU NEED TO CONVINCE.......Cj
ste
No it is you we need to convince to be proud of what you do and not apologize! For those that blasted you about the picture move on and any positive replies you got invite them to go along next time. If we don't vocally and unequivocally defend our rights we will lose them!

Versus what you claim I wrote:
cjhills wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 am
DD.
You. Vociferously and Unequificably" What do these two words mean. To me and most people they would mean loudly and no argument. Or in your face . Not the way to win friends and influence people.

I clearly stated disengage from the anit....engage those that are friendly and defend our rights. If I had meant loudly and allow no argument I would have written that...

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:23 pm

Some definitions
unequivocal (ŭnˌĭ-kwĭvˈə-kəl)►
adj. Admitting of no doubt or misunderstanding; clear and unambiguous: an unequivocal success.

vocal[voh-kuhl]
SYNONYMS|EXAMPLES|WORD ORIGIN
adjective
of, relating to, or uttered with the voice:
the vocal mechanism; vocal criticism.
rendered by or intended for singing:
vocal music.
having a voice:
A dog is a vocal, but not a verbal, being.
giving forth sound with or as with a voice.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:00 pm

If we need to define words, the discussion has gone way off track. You two have had the opportunity to address each other’s comments so now let’s get back on topic. This is an important topic and I personally would love to see it continue in a civil manner.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Maj agreed! Sorry I just don't like being misrepresented. I won't post again to this thread.

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:43 pm

My apologies for any confusion - I was kinda distracted and jumping around quite a bit and my mind was moving a bit faster then my fingers.

To clarify -

I really liked a lot of what CJ had to say. I am right in line with what he was saying.

WIHA in Kansas - I understand the hunting opportunities in Kansas. I've lived here all my life, and make it a point to get my dogs out and hunt 30 days a season. Not because I like killin' stuff, but rather, because I understand my dogs have only a handful of hunting days in their lives and I want them to take advantage of those days. I've NEVER killed a limit of quail (I think it's too high, but that's a different subject matter altogether)

I also understand that many many people head here to hunt, I've hunted with quite a few. It's a destination state. I get that. I also understand deer hunters drive a lot of the hunting money out there. I never have begrudged the fact that folks lease up land, or the landowners that lease out the land... I also understand the differences in seasons, quarry etc etc. I understand ALL of that. I get that there is a lot of acreage and that there is a lot of federally owned land that is huntable. I hunt it myself.

My point is this - It's not all rainbows and unicorns here. Its not to the point where we are similar to Texas or other states with a large amount of leased land, but we are taking steps in that direction. As I said, I hunted a lot of WIHA that was terrible habitat-wise, or drove by land that used to be WIHA and isn't anymore, that is leased. I get that it's better then in other states - and I'm probably taking things for granted by living here. That was simply my point. One more thing - I don't blame landowners or leasers per se, but just the reality of life. And the fact that it may/will be more and more difficult for an average guy like me to be able to hunt.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:54 pm

I don't care how many birds others shoot as long as they are legal and they do not over hunt individual coveys. When the birds are plentiful enough to take a legal limit, it does no harm to the population at large, nor our Sport to do so. Weather and habitat are what determine annual upland bird populations and for the most part they cannot be stockpiled from one year to the next.

Riding a tall horse looking down on fellow hunters is hardly a healthy behavior for our Sport.

The WIHA program itself is leasing. It is the State of Kansas leasing from Private Landowners for the specified game and seasons. The program remains strong and yields a lot of opportunity for the general public. Private lands are usually better after the season has been on awhile. I hunt both and lease no ground for my own exclusive use.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 am

My hope is that nobody on this site shoots more birds than they can use and they waste away in their freezer.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 am

fishvik wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:38 am
My hope is that nobody on this site shoots more birds than they can use and they waste away in their freezer.
Well sure. Waste is never a good thing.

But why is the culture of this site geared towards such ugly assumptions of other hunters is what runs through my mind.

A guy shoots a legal limit of birds and he must not appreciate the dog work and is instead only consumed with killing. Or must be wasting the birds he kills. A guy pays to day hunt on a ranch in Texas which is open to all to do the same and he is somehow the enemy of the "average" hunter. Those claiming to hunt public land only assuming they have elevated ethics over those that seek out and hunt private as well.

Toxic.

birds

Post by birds » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:29 am

Averageguy - As an example I think it may have to do with the way popular hunting shows often portray hunting situations. A flock of mallards swirl into the decoys and instantly every barrel is in the air, magazines are emptied all around and ducks are seen raining down upon the water, often in slow motion. Then, of course the obligatory hooting, fist bumping, hi fives and tossing of birds into a communal pile. Later, the entire party poses with the combined party bag. Just think - 35 ducks in the bag in 15 or 20 minutes! All legal (except for the combined bag part - ahem...), but to the uninitiated a pretty jarring scene. It isn't to say this is illegal. Nor is it really "real". Its just a really odd form of compressed TV entertainment. It (unintentionally or not) is what I can only describe as disrespect for the birds and the process. And then we have the way guns/ammunition are marketed these days - its as if somewhere along the line we went to war with the creatures we pursue. They are still just the same birds and creatures we were taught to hunt with respect (hopefully) when we were kids. Except now the marketing would have us believe that we need to pursue them with the veracity of a Navy Seal Team or go home skunked. Or even worse - one shy of a full bag.
This approach to our passion may not even make many of us all that uncomfortable anymore (though I believe it should), but it makes many of the uninitiated feel that way and they vote too. This portrayal of hunting is in our faces and theirs too and I wish it would stop but I'm betting it won't. There are plenty of non hunters out there who could readily understand the logic of sound biology and management, good sustainable food and healthful time in the outdoors. But all they need is the wrong exposure to the Rambo side of what we do and they are going to vote against us.
As to that Texas lease "open to all" - its not open to me for financial reasons and never has been. And I doubt that at this point in my life it ever will be. I just hope that all those that are happy to pay for leases continue to do so. That way the rest of us will still have a few uncrowded places still available to walk without weighing it against the house payment.

mask

Post by mask » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:46 am

This started off about Oregon and should stay on topic. I have bought a nonresident license in Oregon for the last 30 years. I have written letters to fish and game and a couple of people in congress. Anyone on here can do the same instead of debating limits and how many birds should be killed. There was a lot of outside money coming into Oregon to try and get this bill passed and that should tell you something. Animal rights groups monitor all forums and hunting clubs or groups. (for what it is worth). I would suggest you do something positive to help animal user groups and perhaps help yourself as well as others.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:05 pm

averageguy,

I may be reading into things differently than you, but I think that most on here do not oppose limiting out or assume that guys who do limit out waste birds. What I've been gather from this discussion is that we should be aware of how we are portrayed to, or perceived by, the general non-hunting public. That's a more than fair stance to take.

We hunt because, in general, most Americans are supportive of hunting, yet only 4-6% of the population actually hunts. It seems that maintaining a positive image would be in our best interest. I think that the discussion can begin with HOW we do that (maintain a positive image).

There are some groups out there who do a really good job of covering this topic (the MeatEater crew and Project Upland come to mind). My personal opinion is that if someone wants to do a grip'n grin photo, they should be able to articulate the bag limits and how those limits are derived. Also, it doesn't hurt to take pictures besides of the game. Pictures of the countryside, pictures of the crew, etc. Why not document why we hunt? I think most hunters, in a moment of honesty, would admit that they don't hunt to limit out every time, so why not celebrate the other reasons we hunt?

I believe hunting has a PR problem. There are so many "factions" of the hunting world that our messages are disjointed and seem to be lost on the general population, which is why things like this bill in Oregon are low hanging fruit.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:28 pm

birds wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:29 am
Averageguy - As an example I think it may have to do with the way popular hunting shows often portray hunting situations. A flock of mallards swirl into the decoys and instantly every barrel is in the air, magazines are emptied all around and ducks are seen raining down upon the water, often in slow motion. Then, of course the obligatory hooting, fist bumping, hi fives and tossing of birds into a communal pile. Later, the entire party poses with the combined party bag. Just think - 35 ducks in the bag in 15 or 20 minutes! All legal (except for the combined bag part - ahem...), but to the uninitiated a pretty jarring scene. It isn't to say this is illegal. Nor is it really "real". Its just a really odd form of compressed TV entertainment. It (unintentionally or not) is what I can only describe as disrespect for the birds and the process. And then we have the way guns/ammunition are marketed these days - its as if somewhere along the line we went to war with the creatures we pursue. They are still just the same birds and creatures we were taught to hunt with respect (hopefully) when we were kids. Except now the marketing would have us believe that we need to pursue them with the veracity of a Navy Seal Team or go home skunked. Or even worse - one shy of a full bag.
This approach to our passion may not even make many of us all that uncomfortable anymore (though I believe it should), but it makes many of the uninitiated feel that way and they vote too. This portrayal of hunting is in our faces and theirs too and I wish it would stop but I'm betting it won't. There are plenty of non hunters out there who could readily understand the logic of sound biology and management, good sustainable food and healthful time in the outdoors. But all they need is the wrong exposure to the Rambo side of what we do and they are going to vote against us.
As to that Texas lease "open to all" - its not open to me for financial reasons and never has been. And I doubt that at this point in my life it ever will be. I just hope that all those that are happy to pay for leases continue to do so. That way the rest of us will still have a few uncrowded places still available to walk without weighing it against the house payment.
Birds:
Excellent post.
I have an aquaintance who belongs to a hunting club in Kansas. 100 people have exclusive hunting rights to 50,'000 acres. Most are deer hunters. About 30 hunt birds. They have the exclusive rights to all this property and birds that really belong to the state of Kansas. it is totally legal and the land owners can do what they like. But that is 50,000 acres that is not open to all. It will only get worse.
In Southern Minnesota there are Pheasants Forever signs all over on private land whose owners have got financial aid from Pheasants Forever. Under these signs are No Hunting signs. Most of that land isleased to a few hunters. Nothing wrong with that' It just limitshunting opportunities more and more. This causes fewer hunters and contributes to more neutral people........Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Birds, I observe some disturbing behavior as well. I don't create it or have any affiliation with it.

But I have been lumped in with the same because I sometimes shoot a limit of birds and posted some photos (which cannot be reasonably claimed to be distasteful). I am not going to let it pass without comment, attempts to spin it different do not erase it and it does nothing but tear down our sport.

I help moderate a public site which has over 20K and growing members dedicated to Hunting Wild Birds. Numerous comments posted in this thread would be met with a huge swell of opposition. As it should be.

As far as shooting birds I am well versed in Biology, but it is apparent several here are not. The Iowa DNR released a public statement this week regarding the severe winter ice, snow accumulations, low temperatures and wind taking a severe toll on the pheasant and quail numbers as we speak. Once again demonstrating how legal hunting mortality has a near zero impact on wild bird numbers year over year. Habitat and Weather are the determining factors not legal Sport hunting.

As for "Texas", I started hunting over 50 years ago, rode the free permission as far and as long as it would take me. Still do. But I also experienced the decline in free access all the way.

I hunt public lands more days a season than any other form of access, some private permission spots, some paid trespass fees onto private land, and I hunt on my own property which I manage for Wildlife.

I did not wish for our current state of affairs nor did I create it, but I will be darned if I ever stop hunting because of it. I am not some born into it well heeled gentry but rather a guy who loves to hunt so much that I have managed my life such that I am able to do a lot of it.

Ill feelings towards fellow hunters utilizing some pay to play options accomplishes nothing but more ill feelings between hunters, who should instead be working against a common enemy to our Sport.

And it misses a critical reality, which is those payments to landowners provide necessary and critical incentives to balance their land use practices in ways that benefit wildlife.

The ranch I hunted in Texas serves as an excellent example as the owner/operator struggles to keep his ranch intact and running in the black vs the red. It is only through income streams from the Deer and Quail hunts he sells that he is able to keep the stocking rates for cattle on his ranch at a lower level than you can easily see on the adjoining ranches. The adjoining ranches are much more heavily grazed and in turn do not support anywhere near the same volume of wildlife.

I am familiar with the Hunt Club leasing in Kansas that was referenced in a post above including its annual dues. It is within the financial reach of a great many fellow Sportsman if they choose to utilize it. The club has existed since at least the 80s when I first became aware of it and yet the State of Kansas is still providing 1.3 million acres of public land opportunities this past season. That club is not the enemy several posts make it out to be, but rather these approaches to continuing access to private lands are an inevitable outcome of the economics of landowners seeking some return on investments. No amount of complaining or attacks on fellow hunters from those who have no financial stake in those properties will ever overcome these economic realities.

There are all sorts of private lands that I will never hunt on, but I would much rather see them supporting wildlife and providing some Sportsman hunting opportunities than not.

Divisiveness within our ranks is not a solution nor a defense against our common enemy.
Last edited by averageguy on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:54 pm

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:58 am

cjhills wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 pm
oldbeek wrote:
cjhills wrote:
make money.
Thank you..…..Cj

OB
How does your South Dakota math add up? 5 hunters x 10 days x 3 birds a day = 150 birds to take home? There is a 15 bird possession limit, you could only possess 75 birds to take home. It doesn't matter if you hunt every day of the season, once you possess 15 each you're done. (Of course, unless you're giving them away. This is where being ethical comes in.)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 am

You can take two 5 day hunts at the end of each hunt you can have 15 birds in possession when you leave SD.
As far as ethics go, they are a personal thing and what you call ethical may not be the same as mine. Just because it is legal does not mean it is ethical. To a lot of people ethics depend on who is watching.... CJ

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:34 am

There is currently a petition in another newer forum type site. The petition is to stop the ban and bill from passing and it was recently posted so the more signings soon the better. https://www.birddogchat.com/bird-dog-trial-antis/#

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm

cjhills wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 am
You can take two 5 day hunts at the end of each hunt you can have 15 birds in possession when you leave SD.
As far as ethics go, they are a personal thing and what you call ethical may not be the same as mine. Just because it is legal does not mean it is ethical. To a lot of people ethics depend on who is watching.... CJ
Exactly. You can possess 15 max. You cannot leave with 30 a piece. If you make 2 trips to S.D. and bring home 15 the first trip, eat 2 you still have 13 in your freezer at home so you can only shoot 2 more to bring home on your second trip. This is what is legal & ethical.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:54 pm

OhioVizsla wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm
cjhills wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:35 am
Exactly. You can possess 15 max. You cannot leave with 30 a piece. If you make 2 trips to S.D. and bring home 15 the first trip, eat 2 you still have 13 in your freezer at home so you can only shoot 2 more to bring home on your second trip. This is what is legal & ethical.
So if The possession limit in my state is six. do I haveto throw 9 away at the border? If I go the first and last week I can easily have the first 15 birds gone in two months. This whole thing is silly I can legally bring home 30 birds in 2 trips what I do with them is my business and my ethics......Cj

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:41 pm

That's true, but you can't legally take home 15 if you have any left from the first trip.

Shellottome

Post by Shellottome » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:21 pm

I agree with cj on being quiet. I hunt everything under the sun. I don’t post any of it cause of the negative attention. You have guys go out and bag a limit, then post everything. Real hunters don’t need to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Shellotome,

I don’t think guys post because they need to. I think it’s because they are proud, or at least I am. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Having a defensible answer for the anti’s is way more important than moderating pictures online. For example, with this proposed law in Oregon, I think a portion of the public could be swayed to oppose it if they understood how biology is used to determine how many and when coyotes can be taken.