roading

birds

roading

Post by birds » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi All -
Anyone have recommendations for a roading harness to be used with a mt. bike? Also at what age can my pup be safely exercised this way? He is going on six months (which seems too early to me) but I'm just trying to get an idea when it would be safe based on development. Thanks!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: roading

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:59 am

I don’t know about a harness. I run my dog on remote dirt road while I ride a quad that she has learned to run in front good distance. (Probably not the safest). We started short runs about 6 months old and worked up from there. I figured if I’m hunting her running miles, why couldn’t she exercise.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:25 am

Never and I mean never, attach yourself to the dog while roading it. If that dog puts on the brakes or runs after something, you're going down. I free run mine on a trail with an ecollar on them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:42 am

I have been roading my dogs with my bike for over 10 years. It's important to train your dog for this activity. I use a 6' lead held loosely n one hand so in the event the dog stops fast or does want to chase something I can easily release the lead. But most importantly is the dog being trained not to do those things. I do 4-7 miles at about a 10-12 mph pace. My dog really enjoys it and looks forward to her runs. I use a couple of very simple dog harnesses that work just fine. The main thing is that they are pulling with their chest and not their neck.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:36 am

I use a Howling dog harness and an older one I bought locally at a Horse Tack Shop hooked up to my Polaris.

20190919_164159.jpg
20190925_185213.jpg
20190925_190439.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:19 am

I think people that don't compete with their dog's might condition more than they need to. A hunting dog, hunted even long periods of time learns to pace itself. Competitive dogs are taught to run for specific periods of time. You have a dog you run in one hour braces and want to condition it, train it in the type country you'll compete in but train maybe an hour longer than the brace you'll run in. The dog will learn to pace itself. Hot weather is a hard one. I've watched lot's of guy's stay over a week in Madras, Ore to train for a trail the following week in hot weather. Everyone of them would get up early to train and quit late morning because of the heat. What I used to do was go out in the heat and have plenty of water down. Then run the dog's at their pace and get to water often. hard to condition for heat if you don't have the dog run in it. If you have a grouse dog, train in the forest, Pheasant dog, train in the cover you find them in, ect, ect. if you hunt different birds, train in different cover's.

Every get to some southern state in the summer and wonder how the people there can even breath? They live in it every day and it's normal to them. Same will work with your dog.But, a fat dog is a fat dog and a dog that's lays around all the time is generally out of shape.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:33 pm

The best way (imo) is to Free run , they can go as fast as they are capable of going .... Or want to .
Probably my military background taught me that it is good to be fit and get fit, but you have to a job when you get there and be physically able to do it ..Not exhausted ....you loose ..
lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufeNYU ... e=youtu.be

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:42 pm

I try to get my dog in the field to free run as much as possible. But when I'm unable to get to a field roading her with my bike at 10-12 mph for 30 minutes with my bike has proven to be an excellent way to keep her well conditioned. My dog is both a hunting dog and trial dog so keeping her in top condition throughout the year is critical.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm

birds wrote:Hi All -
Anyone have recommendations for a roading harness to be used with a mt. bike? Also at what age can my pup be safely exercised this way? He is going on six months (which seems too early to me) but I'm just trying to get an idea when it would be safe based on development. Thanks!
Free running is ok at a young age but resistance training (roading) should wait until their bones are done developing. I would get a vets advise. You know you can't get OFA certification untill the dog is 24 months old...fwiw.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:54 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:36 am
I use a Howling dog harness and an older one I bought locally at a Horse Tack Shop hooked up to my Polaris.

20190919_164159.jpg

20190925_185213.jpg

20190925_190439.jpg
Did you build the platform on your Ranger or buy it?

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:08 am

Tenderfoot wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:54 pm
I made it myself....3/4" plywood with 2 pieces of 3/4" square tubing supports underneath to keep from sagging under the weight of the dog's and crates. Held in place by the GripPro ATV pocket anchors.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:04 pm

I've roaded my GSP off my mountain bike with the walkydog plus 2-4 days a week 2 miles to and from a local reservoir for 6 years (I let him free run when we get to the lake). I've had two very minor slow-speed spills, both of which were my fault, and no harm was done to the dog, me, or the bike. He'll definitely give an extra pull if he sees a squirrel or cat, but the walky dog and paracord soak up some of the pull and the rest I can handle. I'm a reasonably fit 190# and my bike is probably 25+#. Chance is 60#. He's never once tried to stop or run into the wheels. I do make a point to stay focused, with my head on a swivel. A full speed accident would be a bad deal for sure. Dogs, particularly off leash dogs worry me the most. Usually, when we come across them, I'll reach down and unhook Chance. Obviously, other's peoples' dogs and experiences are different. I'm just sharing mine. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't/couldn't run him off my bike - we live in the suburbs. Everything has some sort of risk involved, you just have to weigh the pluses and minuses. All that said, the Lion Country Supply Deluxe Padded Roading Harness is pretty nice, and recently I've been using the Howling Dog Tough Skin Ultra harness. Both get the job done.
PS - I think I remember reading about 18 months is when their bones are done growing and it's save to force run 'em. Before that only free running or very short forced running. Others will have more experience on this subject.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:08 am

Coveyrise64 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:08 am
Tenderfoot wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:54 pm
I made it myself....3/4" plywood with 2 pieces of 3/4" square tubing supports underneath to keep from sagging under the weight of the dog's and crates. Held in place by the GripPro ATV pocket anchors.

cr
Thanks...looks great!