Transporting dog in truck bed

PoorMansWrangler

Transporting dog in truck bed

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:12 am

Hey guys, I have a 2 year old GSP, and he has always ridden in the back seat of my truck (crew cab dodge ram) in a ruff tuff kennel. I have been debating moving his kennel to the bed of my truck, and strapping in down using ratchet straps and a chain to prevent it from walking away. I already have an insulated cover for the kennel, as well as the d ring tie down points on all four corners, and the locking door option. My main concern is keeping the kennel warm and waterproof and keeping it vented, as it is currently snowing and raining in Ohio. I thought about adding some hay to the kennel and a wool blanket, and just leaving one of the window covers opened slightly. I would love to get a truck cap, but unfortunately it’s not an option right now. Any advice or suggestions regarding this? Thank you!

JONOV

Re: Transporting dog in truck bed

Post by JONOV » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:55 am

I'd be leery about having it exposed like that for any length of time. My main fear would be a tender heart that would "save" the dog. But for a single trip I'd be fine wiht it.

FWIW, I think the safest (in terms of a crash) place is in a kennel in the backseat.

But Ruffland does make an insulated zip up kennel cover. https://rufflandkennels.com/product/dou ... nel-cover/

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 am

If you have always had your ruff tuff crate plus dog in the back seat and it has worked, why are you contemplating a change? No one likes to think of his dog being stolen or to escape or get killed due to an in adequate fastening of a crate door, but it is a possibility if you're exposing him to the elements or if he will be left out there when you stop for various reasons.

No comment on how to keep him in the back of your truck bed -- my knowledge is zero--, but I can certainly see some negatives. Since what you have been doing works, what are the positives? Unless he routinely fights skunks.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 am

I live in Idaho. My dogs; GSP, GWP and Lab; always ride in a kennel in the bed of an uncovered pickup. They sleep in at night, even during Dec. and January. I have an insulated cover for it and fill it with straw. When I open it on cold, 5-20 degree, mornings to let them out it is very warm inside just from the heat they generate. I don't think you have anything to worry about keeping them in a kennel in the bed of a pickup. I put the door of the kennel against the tail gate and run a single tie down across the back of the kennel cinching it up against the the tailgate. It allows better ventilation when it is hot and I don't have the cover on. It also allows some ventilation with the cover on. In addition the tailgate keeps the kennel door closed. I've been doing this for over 20 years and never had them get out of the kennel or the kennel break free.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm

Part of the reason I would like to try the kennel in the bed idea is because while he is a great bird hunter, he had quite the taste for fur to include skunks. Also, when I have his kennel in the truck bed, I lose my whole back seat, so I have no storage for guns, gear etc. Also, since the kennel has locks on it, I can just put a padlock on it and it is worry free. Worst case scenario, if I have to park for a while or the weather gets too bad, I have the option to just put him in the cab.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Just remember a dog can take a lot more cold than heat. I haul mine in an open bed with mud river insulated covers. I leave the zipper open some for air. He will be fine with a good insulated cover.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 pm

I hauled my dog 12,000 miles on an Alaska trip. I built a wire cage out of stock panels that went from the cab to the 5th wheel hitch. It had a swing door by one side. Inside this cage I had her dog crate. I had a heavy tarp to put over just the top of the cage during bad weather. She did travel some of the time in the cab but she loved her cage. The grid in the panels were large enough where she could stick her head up through and beg attention at some of our town stops and get a look at those AK scents going down the road. When off flying or cruising she could stay in the cage. I had the staff at one small airport take her out for a potty break at the 3 hr mark on a 6 hr cruise. I would let her run in remote areas and she always came back covered in mud.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:57 pm

4 britts in crates back of an f150 with topper and a truck bed slider to get to the back boxes. I worry about heat a lot more than cold.

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:42 pm

This morning it was 6 degrees out and he seemed to do well in the kennel! I would like to try and figure out a way to make a roof/cover for it in case of heavy rain, as I would rather not have to drag the kennel in and out of the truck every time rain is in the forecast. I did coat the outside of the crate cover in a waterproofing spray, we will see how it holds up! Essentially what I did was put the insulating cover on the crate, I had to cut slots in the cover to get to the tie down points, then I ran 4 ratchets straps (one for every corner) to hooks in the bed. The I took a chain and padlock, and padlocked the kennel to the bed as well.