"Roading" tips- bike or treadmill?

Joe3232

"Roading" tips- bike or treadmill?

Post by Joe3232 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:07 pm

I found some old posts debating the benefits of using a treadmill or attachments on bikes for extra training for a dog.

Are there any newer equipment I should check out if considering exercising a dog with a bike?

Are there downsides to trying to use a treadmill? I read one post about the gait of the dog being shorter and effecting their running

Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: "Roading" tips- bike or treadmill?

Post by shags » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:35 am

Check out sites like this https://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-bicy ... ories.html For biking on pavement, you might have to watch the dog's pads.

Treadmill works for letting go of energy. I wouldn't use one as my only conditioning program, but I'd consider it a sort of cross-training.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:59 pm

I used to road some, no idea why any more. Trials I did were only 1/2hr braces and a dog training a few time's a week a half hour or so at a time should be good to go. Horseback dog's were trained horseback, 1/2hr was nothing to them! For the hunter, I don't know any hunter's in good enough shape to keep up with a dog in good average shape for long and after the first couple time's out, your dreaming if you think you could keep up!

Joe3232

Post by Joe3232 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 pm

I should say this is not for conditioning. Just trying to burn some more energy for the dog on weekdays to help with behavior in the house.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:06 pm

My granddaughter came by today with her big high energy hound X herdingsomethingorother today, and they ran him on lead off the fourwheeler for about a half hour. Later she sent a pic of the dog zonked out on the sofa. So seems like a nice bike run might do the trick for you :D

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Until now, I have always been able to road my dogs off a bike on gravel trails. Suddenly old age had taken over and I can't cruise along at 12-15 anymore. That's fast on a bike on gravel. I am now contemplating an Electric Assist Bike. They are legal on nearly all bike trails vs a full electric. You HAVE to be able to cruise at 12-15 for prolonged periods, like 5 miles or so to get a dog in hunting shape. In the winter, with no traffic, I run them in front of the truck on gravel roads. When the tourists come I switch to the bike trails. Expect to pay 2-3000 for a decent electric assist bike.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:24 am

I have run my dogs with my bicycle for over 10 years. I use a light harness and a 6' lead. I would not recommend anything that attaches the dog directly to your bike. Too easy for the dog to pull you over. I've always held the lead very loosely so if the dog was to pull unexpectedly it would release from my hand. However, this winter in Arizona I have had two crashes. One when another dog ran out in the street after my dog and the other when my dog suddenly stopped to take a poop. I apparently was holding the lead too tight. The last incident jerked my handle bar sharply to the left and I did a face plant in the street. I was on the ground before I knew what happened. The helmet really saved me but I still came up bleeding from several different places on my face. Took the skin off my nose and chin. I haven't roaded her with the bike since. So if you are using a bike be careful.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:33 am

I hadn't been around in a while, but saw this thread. As Don pointed out, a foot hunter can't keep up with decent athletic breed dog, even one that is just ok shape. But from my knothole, when I go on a hunting trip, I usually hunt multiple days in a row. This has been because I had limited vacation days available and road trip costs per day add up. So, the dog and I end up hunting more days in a row than either of us would find ideal. When my dogs are in better shape and younger, they handled it much better than when they were older and were less conditioned.

But this is now mainly hypothetical. I retired in January and rest between hunting days is much more appealing. :D

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Joe3232 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 pm
I should say this is not for conditioning. Just trying to burn some more energy for the dog on weekdays to help with behavior in the house.

Where do you live? Biking may be fine where you have enough space, as in a rural location, but suburbs are no place to have a dog on a bike. If you have to release the dog or get tipped over for whatever reason, your dog will get squashed. To say nothing of trying it in snowy, cold or wet weather.

Treadmills are also much more time effective (though I'll grant you, probably less fun). The consistency of speed and the ability to increase the angle means that you'll get more exercise for the dog in less time. And snow is not likely to be a problem for you.

Treadmill. Lots of information on YouTube as to how to get your dog accustomed to it. Make sure you go with a dog treadmill rather than a person one. There are big differences. When you read about how treadmills shorten the gait of a dog, it's because people weren't bright enough to get one designed for dogs. It works.

Joe3232

Post by Joe3232 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:13 pm

We live in the northeast, suburbs of a bigger city.

As usual, thanks for the tips. This site is great.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:42 pm

The treadmill is better and safer. Set it at an incline and keep the speed at a trot

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:18 pm

Joe3232 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 pm
Nothing could be further from the truth. Roading not only conditions but it builds muscle and stamina. Of course it does depend on how you are roading. I'm talking abut having the dog pull you on the bike or having multiple dogs pulling a 4-wheeler.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:27 am

...treadmill, for safety reasons driven by where you live. Now, if you can take your dog(s) and bike to a remote area...
Even then, a dog with a healthy prey drive can be distracted. If you go down and get hurt, you could possibly be injured IN A REMOTE AREA.
I didn't/don't use either but I guess something is better than nothing.

Devilscreekw

Post by Devilscreekw » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:09 am

I strongly recommend a product called "Cycle Leash" I have been using one for about 10 years. It is attached to the seat post of your bike, angles out around your leg, and has about an 18" elastic strap that snaps onto the dog roading harness. I had a dog that pulled me over several times on gravel roads until I got the "Cycle Leash" . Since then I have not had one incident, though the wife still makes me wear a cycling helmet.

I will agree that most dogs can run a half hour trial in any condition, but if you are on an out of town trip and try to hunt a dog multiple 14-20 mile days, he had better be in condition. I currently road 6 miles a day for 2 days in a row, then rest the dog for a day, and just walk him in harness (maybe 3 miles)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:39 pm

I road by bike and ride the break to ensure they are getting resistance. I have used the 2 days on 1 day of;f for 1 hour of hard roading and using the off day for active recovery of swimming or free running 30 min - 1 hour.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:24 am

I road using my quad that has a 6’ tube extending off the side and dogs attached to a doubled up bungee on a harness. Seems to work great and bungee enables her to pull with some resistance. I’m sure my neighbors think I’m crazy but it works

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:54 am

Devilscreekw, that is one mighty fine lookin' dog you have there!
Sounds like you have that dog in fine shape too. He must have muscles in his farts! :lol:
Y'all can borrow that....

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:44 am

Haven’t been able to the last couple years because my old dog developed a heart murmur and my pup is too young, but I would regularly road my dog on my mountain bike. The set up I found to work best and safest is to attach the lead to the frame of the bike with a quick release that has a pull cord in your hand for an emergency. That way I am able to keep my hands on the bike at all times and still release the dog if need be. I also put a heavy duty rubber bungee in line to absorb shock to the dog. Knock on wood I have never gone down with numerous rabbit encounters in his younger days, he ignores them now.

I trained turn commands, which really helps navigating trails and also carries over to the field. I also have a slow and whoa command. With consistent work they pick up the routine and the commands really fast and absolutely love doing it.

I only run them on dirt or gravel roads and paths, luckily I have quite a few to choose from. Once you get working as a team it is a lot of fun, and your dog will muscle up quick. I kept it to three days a week, and used it when I didn’t have time or enough daylight to get to the fields for free running.

I use a clip similar to this.
57239771-2682-4DF4-AECE-B12CA0CB846B.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.