Looking for Smaller Wirehaired Pointer Griffon

cleriger

Looking for Smaller Wirehaired Pointer Griffon

Post by cleriger » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 pm

Does anyone know of a Wirehaired Pointer Griffon breeder who breeds a smaller Griffon?

oregon woodsmoke

Re: Looking for Smaller Wirehaired Pointer Griffon

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:19 pm

My answer never posted on the versatile dog forum, so I will answer just the same here.

I would be cautious about any breeder who was deliberately breeding dogs that were outside the breed standard. Breeders who are serious about their breed are working hard to keep their dogs in the standard. You are not gong to find a breeder who is deliberately breeding mini-griffs.

The size of dog you want, I suggest that you look for a good Brittany. A Brittany is right in the size range that you are asking for and they can do what a Griff does. They find birds, point, can be trained to hold the point through the flush, and they will fetch to hand. They will fetch out of water. They can be just as good in the house as a griff.

If you wait long enough and ask enough people, you might luck onto a runt puppy, because they do happen sometimes in excellent litters.

Be aware, though, that the size of a pup newly born does not indicate how big the pup will be when fully grown. it is possible for that small pup to grow up to be the largest dog in the litter.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Welcome Cleriger.
Excellent post oregon woodsmoke.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:25 am

It is a very good post by Oregon woodsmoke, particularly as it relates to avoiding people who consciously breed dogs outside the standard. If the OP wants a smaller griff-- and Woodsmoke has presented a good option-- the best way is to look for an adult dog who happens to be smaller.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Oregon is more courteous in reply , whilst also being continuous variation in reply .

Affenpinscher and belgian street dog , then breeders want a pointer in the mix, then add wirehair , ..hey' let's have them small.
Add in colour of coat , more liver than white, or more white than liver , or more spots than not .! What is a Smaller Wirehaired Pointer Griffon ? Hey , what is a 'Griffon' if it ain't from Brussels anyway . lol

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:47 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:19 pm
My answer never posted on the versatile dog forum, so I will answer just the same here.

I would be cautious about any breeder who was deliberately breeding dogs that were outside the breed standard. Breeders who are serious about their breed are working hard to keep their dogs in the standard. You are not gong to find a breeder who is deliberately breeding mini-griffs.

The size of dog you want, I suggest that you look for a good Brittany. A Brittany is right in the size range that you are asking for and they can do what a Griff does. They find birds, point, can be trained to hold the point through the flush, and they will fetch to hand. They will fetch out of water. They can be just as good in the house as a griff.

If you wait long enough and ask enough people, you might luck onto a runt puppy, because they do happen sometimes in excellent litters.

Be aware, though, that the size of a pup newly born does not indicate how big the pup will be when fully grown. it is possible for that small pup to grow up to be the largest dog in the litter.
Great post, however I disagree. Breed standards were to develop a breed that was created to hunt a different type of cover and a different amount of terrain than what we have in North America.

I couldn't imagine trying to hunt a full size Draht on the prairie for sharptails day in and day out all season.
Take a look at shorthairs, there is a reason they are being bred smaller and lighter than the German counter parts. They are faster, lighter on their feet and recover faster than their larger counter parts.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:38 am

Very good post.
Also easier to live with, keep,haul and many other reasons. No real upside to a big dog IMO.
Not very familiar with Griffons but I would think there are breeders who breed for lower size. Don't Know any thouugh.......Cj

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am

Friend has a nice smaller female from Bluestem kennels Nebraska.
Charity Upchurch