Last Day of the Wild bird season

oldbeek

Last Day of the Wild bird season

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:56 am

Last day of the season. My hip has been killing me so I am trying to let it rest. I was going to watch the football play off games and use my heat pad. Went outside to feed my pigeons and found it was a beautiful day. My Brittany was dancing around in anticipation. I thought, to heck with the pain. She deserved some feathers in her mouth. Put on her collars , got my 20 ga and jumped on my quad. About a mile down the road she cut into the desert. Hunting at a range of about 300 yards I watched her run. Lost her for a while and stopped to look at the gps. She was moving slow about 250 yards to the west. I headed that way. Sure enough she was creeping around. Then she locked up. got off my quad and shot the bird for her. She stood till the bird tumbled. Perfect retrieve. Next bird I was taking her picture when the bird flushed. She gave me that look. The birds were holding tight in knee high brush. She pointed 3 more singles for me to shoot for her over the next 15 minutes. As these are the covey I train on, I let her point a few more and only took pictures then told her to kennel up and we headed home. She had enough. She had 5.5 miles on her Garmin. She is in her bed now and I am back on my heating pad. A good dog is just to precious to waste. Good Lord willing there will be a next year and maybe I will have some more bionic parts to help me along.

Willie T

Re: Last Day of the Wild bird season

Post by Willie T » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 am

Nice oldbeek. Thanks for letting me tag along. Following a good dog scratches an itch nothing else can….
Willie.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:24 am

Good way to end the season :D

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:32 am

So happy for you both!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 am

What a great way to start my day. Such a good read, I was right with you. All the best. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:48 am

An inspiration to us all! Keep after them oldbeek, the birds and the doctors. Hope they get that hip straightened out in time for next October.

Garrison

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:50 pm

Thanks Guys, It was such a beautiful day I just had to share.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:59 pm

Very nice. I had a near nonexistent season due to back surgery which I'm still recovering from. I'm hoping next season is a real season for me and Oscar