restock a shotgun

john

restock a shotgun

Post by john » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 pm

i have a ruger o/u that has a major crack around the pistol grip portion of the stock. i was wondering if anybody knew of a good gunsmith to get it restocked and how much the average cost would be?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:48 pm

You could also try Numrich Arms on the Internet. www.e-gunparts.com

That is a manufactured stock, you would not need a gunsmith to just put another one on the gun. Unscrew the butt plate/recoil pad. There is a screw in the top and bottom of the back, phillips. The holes are hard to see in a recoil pad, but put some petroleum jelly on the screwdriver and just push it through. Once that is off, you will see a big screw head down deep in the stock. It will take a long, large screwdriver, probably 12" long. Unscrew it and the stock comes off. Reverse the procedure to put the new stock on.

You don't need to go to a gunsmith unless you want the stock fitted, but it is not fitted right now unless you had the work done.

littleking

Post by littleking » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:45 pm

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Re: restock a shotgun

Post by highcotton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:49 pm

john wrote:i have a ruger o/u that has a major crack around the pistol grip portion of the stock. i was wondering if anybody knew of a good gunsmith to get it restocked and how much the average cost would be?
Are you sure it can't be repaired? I have been suprised by the outcome of some repair jobs (done by professionals) on stocks that appeared to be destroyed.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm

I got a big crack in the stock of my Beretta o/u just recently. Took it to a gunsmith to get it fixed and got all of the wood refinished while I was at it.
The guy did an amazing job. There is no trace of the crack anymore. I know exactly where it was, and even I can't find a trace. I'd consider just getting the crack fixed.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"