Dog Boots

Hamilton

Dog Boots

Post by Hamilton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:40 am

What kind do you own and how do you like them?

I am planning on buying boots for my Brittany for hunting in cactus country (which there is a lot of in Southern California). I see there are many different types, Rubber, Cordura, Neoprene, Tape-on, Velcro, Straps, etc… There is nothing like first hand experience, so I was wondering if you could share yours with me.

Thanks,

Hamilton

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:06 pm

Ruffwear, new style. You need to put them on properly. Vetwrap from the back of the foot up the ankle. Then duct tape the boot on securely. Remove as soon as you are done running the dog. The new style boots have a very thick sole, and the sole has a pattern to it that grips the ground. Most boots are useless in ground cactus, the spines just go right through stuff like neoprene or thin rubber. The grip on the new style soles helps the dogs alot, flat or nongrip soles slip constantly on the ground.

All the dogs that run in the R8 and Hun Championships are booted with these boots, and these are hour championship dogs that really put alot of pressure on the boots. They work.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:08 pm

I do the same thing as wagonmaster.

Hamilton

Post by Hamilton » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:25 pm

What is "Vetwrap"?

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:05 pm

It is kind of like a disposable ace bandage. It sticks to itself real well, but not like tape, and is wonderful for all kinds of stuff with cows and horses, etc. See pic below. Feed stores usually carry it cheapest.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:32 am

As Terry said, vet wrap sticks to itself, not the dog. It allows you to tape the dog's feet, cover that with duct tape, then take the whole mess off with no discomfort to the dog. Pink is for wimps.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:41 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Pink is for wimps.
Agreed

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:36 am

Hey, only real men can wear pink and pull it off.

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:12 pm

That's what they all say...:)

Hamilton

Post by Hamilton » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks Guys,

Any more comments on the boots to buy or do you all agree that the Ruffwear boots are the way to go?

- Hamilton

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:31 pm

I've been using the cheapest regular cordura nylon boots I could find. Wet grass and sand don't let the velcro work very well, and I always manage to come up short one at the end of the day. Definately use the vet wrap and tape them on. I may have to try a pair of these Ruffwear boots this year.

basspow

motorcycle intertube

Post by basspow » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:48 pm

what about the motorcycle intertube boots. they work just fine,once you get them taped on.

gwgdog66

Re: motorcycle intertube

Post by gwgdog66 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:13 pm

basspow wrote:what about the motorcycle intertube boots. they work just fine,once you get them taped on.
That was the first thing I tried. I seen the artical in PDJ. The open toe still let stickers get in. Other than that they are cheap and worked well. Not to mention Wiggles (The female on the left) chewed them off first chance she got :o

Hightailsetters

Post by Hightailsetters » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:20 am

I liked the old Baker Boots out of Oklahoma. They have not been made for around 15-20 yrs now. I do have a friend out in OK. that makes them and sells them on the side. If you would like a pair feel free to e-mail me and I'll pass along his e-mail

HTS