New Here

GoneBirding

New Here

Post by GoneBirding » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:03 pm

Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum. I am in the process of getting a gsp and very excited. I already ordered the book "How to help gundogs help themselves". I am watching a few video's on how to train.

I understand that you don't do much training until the dog is about 6 month but I like to educate myself in advance. I grew up with Boxers and this will be my first German Shorthair Pointer.

I will be picking all your brains for info and look forward to meeting some of you guys out in the field training or hunting.

Hany 8)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:38 pm

Congrats on getting a GSP. Can't see any info on your bio where you are located so don't have a clue where you are -oor if there is a possibility that we could get together.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:13 pm

Contrats on the GSP!

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:14 pm

Welcome Gonebirding.
Hey I live in Indiana .If you are some where near me you will be welcomed to train with me.
Mean while while waiting for that new pup, you might want to cast an eye to the forums openeing page. there's a whole slew of info for getteing started with a new pup. Grant has few short training articles and there is one training Video -Mason Creek's_ that will go long ways in getting you and that brand new pup started on the right track...
And don't forget to give me a holler if you're near by..

Best. Greg.

ward myers

gsp

Post by ward myers » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:56 pm

welcome & congrats
i would suggest you do 2 things rolled up socks & piece of coth on a fishing pole ,i would start both rite away but make them a game for new pup
socks for fetch
cloth & fishing pole for point

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:11 pm

Congrats. to you on getting your 1st bird dog! :D The first thing to do is to enjoy him/her and let it be a puppy! Allow it all the playtime puppies need, along with all the companionship it will take...which will seem to be never-ending. Start with the socks and play short (5 minutes) games of retrieve. Play in an area where the pup has no choice but to get the sock and come back to you...hallways work fantastic. And then TONS of praise. The more time you spend with it as a young pup, getting to know it, the easier it will be to train once the time comes. Welcome to the forum, also.

GoneBirding

Post by GoneBirding » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:30 pm

Thank you all for all the nice suggestions. I guess I will not be training with any of you because I live all the way out in Southern Cali. But don't let distance stop you from sharing the good stuff.

birddog

Post by birddog » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:55 pm

Don't you worry about that. If you have questions, just ask. There are a lot of knowlegeable people here to steer you in the right direcrion.
Janet

GoneBirding

Post by GoneBirding » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:02 pm

That's why I am here.....I am so pumped, I even asked my girlfriend for a libary card to check out some books on training. Who the heck goes to the libary anymore..... Dork......

I do this to myself. I don't stop at nothing when I interested in something. I am my self teacher with all my hobbies and passion.

portsider44

Re: New Here

Post by portsider44 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:50 am

GoneBirding wrote:"How to help gundogs help themselves".

Do you mean Joan Bailey's book How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves? If so I just read the books a couple of months ago & its not a bad read. Lots of good stuff in there.

Welcome aboard & besure & get a picture posted once you pup arrives.

GoneBirding

Post by GoneBirding » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:06 pm

Sorry if I got the book name wrong :lol: Sitting here waiting for my pup to be born sure takes a long time. :D