Vizsla training - with or without ecollar

Orangecrush

Vizsla training - with or without ecollar

Post by Orangecrush » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm

I'm on my second week with a Vizsla. Right now, I'm just trying to get acquainted with her and let her learn her new environment.

I have a question for those who train Vizslas. Do you use the ecollar in their training? I know these are sensitive dogs and I've heard from some people that say an ecollar should not be used.

Your thoughts?
"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly
enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
~ Lee Iacocca ~

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Vizsla training - with or without ecollar

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm

An e-collar used properly is not a problem for training any breed. It is strictly a method of control that is no more severe than the regular CC but just gives you more range and consequently greater control.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm

It depends on the individual dog. If you're sure the dog knows the command, & is ignoring you, try a light hit.
I only had to shock mine twice, both times while running deer when he was around a year old. That's all it took. I don't use it for bird work. V's want to please you, & once you have a bond with them, they listen well.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:07 pm

If you teach cues with the leash and the check cord with the low levels of the e collars of today the stimualtion value can be less then the tug of a leash

but one needs to go through steps to get there..Rick Smith has one of the better methods about going from a command lead to the check cord to the e collar with a dog totally comfortable and knowing what is being asked of it

So again if stimulation whether it be from the lead leash check cord means a cue to go with or come to then the e collar will mean the same

it is all in the method and approach...stop thinking of the E collar as a shock collar stop thinking of the e collar as a correction and start to think of it as a cue tool and the barbarics of it goes away also the Lower levels like that of the pro 100 or the sport has less stimulation value then that of those ones with that vibrate feature I have had dogs react more to the vibrate then they ever have with the low level stimulation

UNDERSTANDING THE E COLLAR this is how I approach the e collar
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 pm

V's are no softer than any other dog, sometimes a little smarter. That may ne why they will shutdown to harsh methods. Follow the directions above and use the e-collar properly and you should be fine.

Good luck

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:26 pm

I would be less concerned about whether the dog can handle an e-collar and more concerned with whether the trainer knows how to use it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 pm

I would be less concerned about whether the dog can handle an e-collar and more concerned with whether the trainer knows how to use it.

+1

brandon

jakethebirddog

Post by jakethebirddog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:30 pm

I agree with everyone, the ecollar is simply used to remind a dog that you are in control. In the beginning, it creates a minor annoyance, until the dog figures out how to turn it off. Once he figures that out, you should not need to use it often, if at all after that. Just remember to keep it on the lowest stimulation level that your dog responds to, and you will do fine. Also, remember timing is key with this, as soon as the dog realized what you want, and begins to obey (for example turns and starts to run toward you when told to "come") turn the stimulation off immediately.

Good luck,
Tony

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 pm

jakethebirddog wrote:I agree with everyone, the ecollar is simply used to remind a dog that you are in control. In the beginning, it creates a minor annoyance, until the dog figures out how to turn it off. Once he figures that out, you should not need to use it often, if at all after that. Just remember to keep it on the lowest stimulation level that your dog responds to, and you will do fine. Also, remember timing is key with this, as soon as the dog realized what you want, and begins to obey (for example turns and starts to run toward you when told to "come") turn the stimulation off immediately.

Good luck,
Tony
+1

The hammer has struck the nail squarely on the head with this one. Well said Tony.

RayG

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:06 am

While I would agree with Tony and others, my question is, what is she doing wrong that an e-collar may be needed?

Yes you can use an E-collar on a Vizsla, providing you know what you are doing. But first you need to read the dog and determine if she is comfortable and confident or bold enough to wear one.

jakethebirddog

Post by jakethebirddog » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:44 am

Vman wrote:While I would agree with Tony and others, my question is, what is she doing wrong that an e-collar may be needed?

Yes you can use an E-collar on a Vizsla, providing you know what you are doing. But first you need to read the dog and determine if she is comfortable and confident or bold enough to wear one.
IMHO, I believe that a collar should be used as a backup training device. It should not be used as a punishment, but rather a tool to establish who is in charge in you and your dog's relationship.

That being said, I don't think you need a major reason that a dog would need an E-collar. I think it is just an excellent training tool to have on hand.

Tony

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:10 pm

O/C,
Lots of good advise here, I really like the statement about making sure that the owner fully undrstands the proper use of the training collar, again we recommend the T&B
collar with a training program for both the dog and master, especially if this is the owners 1st bird dog. Having someone teach proper methods saves a lot of time and
eventual corrections.
RGD/Dave

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:04 am

I'm on my second week with a Vizsla. Right now, I'm just trying to get acquainted with her and let her learn her new environment.
That is why I wrote this
But first you need to read the dog and determine if she is comfortable and confident or bold enough to wear one.
I take it that this is not his dog and by the question he has little experience with Vizslas or he wouldn`t have needed to ask the question. After two weeks the dog should be comfortable with the new environment and handler. If not, don`t try and use an e-collar on the dog.
IMHO, I believe that a collar should be used as a backup training device. It should not be used as a punishment, but rather a tool to establish who is in charge in you and your dog's relationship.
I think i agree with you, but the e-collar should be used to enforce known commands. Not to teach a dog who is in charge.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:08 am

jakethebirddog wrote:
Vman wrote:While I would agree with Tony and others, my question is, what is she doing wrong that an e-collar may be needed?

That being said, I don't think you need a major reason that a dog would need an E-collar. I think it is just an excellent training tool to have on hand.
An e-collar is also a great safety device. Once the dog has been taught the come command with the e-collar, you can now safely stop the dog if it is chasing game or running towards a street. If you have not snake proofed your dog, use the e-collar to teach him that all holes in the dirt are off limits. You don't want him sticking his nose in a hole and getting bit by a snake. An e-collar is the best tool for breaking those dangerous habits.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 am

An e-collar is also a great safety device. Once the dog has been taught the come command with the e-collar, you can now safely stop the dog if it is chasing game or running towards a street. If you have not snake proofed your dog, use the e-collar to teach him that all holes in the dirt are off limits. You don't want him sticking his nose in a hole and getting bit by a snake. An e-collar is the best tool for breaking those dangerous habits.
I agree, it is like having insurance.

jakethebirddog

Post by jakethebirddog » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you Vman for putting it into better words than I could have

Orangecrush

Post by Orangecrush » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 am

Vman - You are correct in assuming I've not experienced this breed. I also do not own a training collar. I've seen how smart these dogs can be and also talked to breeders that don't believe you need a training collar for the Vizslas. If I don't need to spend money on a collar, then I don't want to.

I picked up Annie from a hunter that had six dogs and not enough time to train his two new ones. She is about one year old and was socialized well with the dogs, but not necessarily with people. When she responded slowly to me, I called a breeder who said that I should allow 3-4 weeks to proper bonding time in a situation like this. After two weeks, she is responding to me well. I think within the next week or so, she'll be a normal, happy Vizsla.

She IS a fast learner. She spent about an hour barking and howling last night (I have neighbors). I took the bark collar out and put it on her for the first time. She only barked once and quickly learned that the little black box bites. After an hour of silence, I went out and took it off. I slept peacefully last night!

I'm leaning toward getting a collar with the optional vibration function. I have a feeling she will respond well to this. Time will tell.

Thanks to all for the input.
"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly
enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
~ Lee Iacocca ~

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:51 pm

In truth the Tri Tronics Sport basic and the Pro 100 lower levels have less Stimulation then those vibration collars or even a tug on a leash or lead..

if someone feels good about it is ok to vibrate the dog for what ever reason that is not what the collar is for if you want to use it where a dog will respond to the cue versus react to the stimulation

UNDERSTANDING THE E COLLAR this is the process I use to set my pups and dogs in my program for the e collar
again
the process begins with the leash if the dog is responding well to the leash/lead and confident then going to the check cord to the e collar should be no different

People still view the e collar as a deterrent tool as it was created to stop hounds from chasing unwanted quarry and yes that was super shock

This is why I do not use the term Shock collar as the new lower levels again have Less stimulation value then tugging on the lead or those vibration collars...I have seen many a soft dog react worse to vibration then low level stimulation
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:53 pm

We are still having a hunt test this weekend if you want to come up and hang out. Weather is supposed to be beautiful for a hunt test. :D

Carla

Show Me Vizsla Club Hunt Test
March 6-7th
James A Reed Wildlife Center
Lee's Summit MO

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:15 am

In truth the Tri Tronics Sport basic and the Pro 100 lower levels have less Stimulation then those vibration collars or even a tug on a leash or lead..
In truth any of the Dogtras have lower levels than the vibration or even a tug on the lead. But only the Dogtra has both. :D
The page function is a very useful tool if you know how and when to use it.