crazy Brittany

Packer lakerfan4

crazy Brittany

Post by Packer lakerfan4 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:36 pm

I'm a waterfowl guy usually but hunt pheasant and quail a few times a year my father in law just got back into after not hunting for quite awhile, he bought a French Brittany female and this little dog is the most nutty puppy I have ever seen. I have had a lot of high drive lab pups and also some insane police line German shepherds but this Brittany might top them all she has earned the nick name of evil spawn if that tells you anything. My question here is, is this normal for the breed??? I have been around a few other pointer pups but I think this one is on speed! She is only kenneled at night, out running around all day so the exercise Is not the issue.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: crazy Brittany

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue May 01, 2012 4:39 am

HEHE: They are pretty active. They can be crazy. But usually it is for a period of time then they settle in till rested then start up again.

I have three right now. Each is Quirky. Very different and distinct personalities. But all settled into routines and they know when it is time to calm down. Because, I tell them to by my actions or verbally yelling enough!!!. Age, training, routines, exercise, etc. all will work in making them good house and hunting dogs as you already know.

Your crazy and mine may not be the same.

It would be great if we could see the dog in action. That would be helpful to assess your crazy meter level.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 01, 2012 4:42 am

Evil Spawn? Hehehehehe! My oldest, Courage, was like that. By the time he as a year old I couldn't figure out why anyone would ever want a Brittany. He was tolerable when he was around 2, and got better from there. We joke about Nojenny being really bad, but the truth is, our other pups are exceptionally calm. Nojenny is a typical pup.

Sounds like your friend found himself a "high octane" pup which = LOTS of exercise and even more patience. Evil Spawn WILL grow up :D

OH!! And obedience drills DO help! Often you have to help dogs like this use their minds along with their bodies. Focused activities like fetch help too.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue May 01, 2012 5:50 am

Sounds like a typical pointer puppy to me, I'd be worried if she wasn't acting like that. Comparing a lab pup to a pointer pup is like comparing a 4x4 pickup to a sports car. :D She'll grow up.

Any pics of the little beast?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 am

:lol: Years ago, my bro nicknamed my Britt pup "Devil Dog - Hound from He11." Have to say she was worthy of the title at the time, but she did turn into one mighty fine bird dog.

Packer lakerfan4

Post by Packer lakerfan4 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:22 am

High octane is right, he asked for a dog with medium energy and drive so a 5 on a 1 to 10 scale he said he was glad he didn't ask for a 10 because it might have killed him trying to keep up haha no pictures yet just little orange and white blurs on the camera...

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue May 01, 2012 11:55 am

Turn that camera on video mode. I need a good chuckle today. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Packer lakerfan4

Post by Packer lakerfan4 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:39 pm

Will do, I heard she ate through her kennel today :-) I am getting a kick out of it though he always said how crazy my labs were...karma does exist!

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:44 pm

My griff was the same way, he earned his name of Taz. He is now 16 months and a little crazy, but ti gets better each day. As his OB advanced, his behavior did also. Give the pup some time, britts are great dogs. Would love to see some pics, I love britt pups.

dougroch

Post by dougroch » Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

I have a 5 month old britt pup (my first) and take him to the woods near home for a 30-60 minute run at least twice Monday thru Friday after work and then 2-3 hours each weekend either in the same woods or running on wild birds. Other days I spend 15-30 minutes with him in the yard either working on basic commands or just play. If he doesn't get some sort of daily exercise he is a hyperactive mess. When he gets daily exercise he is quite calm in the house except for a 15-20 minute hyper rampage before he goes to bed for the night. If the weather was nasty that day or other obligations prevented me from getting him out his rampage can last hours. I dread the day when we have 2 evenings of nasty weather in a row.

terrym

Post by terrym » Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Sounds like a pretty normal Brittany to me. They need at least a solid hour every day of off leash running/crazy time. Even with that don't expect them to lay around. Then on weekend plan on running them at least 3 hrs a day.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue May 01, 2012 8:48 pm

my 5 month old britt is a little crazy :o but sound like angel to me now, i think our house dog keeps her busy that may help

basic instinct

Post by basic instinct » Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 pm

my 6 month old is a handful at times, She has the most Character of any dog I have had yet.